Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bi - pod users

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Bronze Member

Bi - pod users

Does anyone have a link or list, that shows how much rifle weight the popular models can take? I've search foo'ed , and cannot find a manufacture's site that has this info. Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bi - pod users

This does not directly answer your question, but all my rifles are in the 12-15lb range except for the lone rimfire. I have shot all these rifles off harris or clone bipods. If you use the legs that pull out until they latch (as opposed to intermediate positions) I have never had any kind of issue. I also have a 24" bipod for a seated position and that holds the 15lb rifles just fine too.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Bronze Member

Actually it does go a long way. My Remington with no ammo, is a bit under 14 pounds. I don't think 4 rounds will be a deal breaker. Thanks for the Info.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

I do not know of a site that lists weight ratings, but I have one of these:
AR15 Heavy Quick Detach Duty Bipod for M1A, HS Precision, McMillan, Sage, & Socom

It works great on my heavy barreled 338LM / Eliseo chassis (don't know exactly, but it is not light). The site says it is fit for use on the AR-30, which is 13.4lbs un-scoped (I looked that up, just for you ). I am very happy with the quality and performance of mine. Plus GG&G seems to be a good outfit.

I have also read GREAT things about Atlas bipods on heavy rifles , and I think a new one is coming out that is even beefier. Do a search here and you'll see lots of rave reviews. I have no practical experience with these, just word of mouth.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Bronze Member

I saw that model, but wasn't sure about adding a adaptor rail section, then the bi-pod under that. Thanks for looking that up!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhulesAu View Post
I saw that model, but wasn't sure about adding a adaptor rail section, then the bi-pod under that. Thanks for looking that up!
I'm running mine on a chassis with a 6 o'clock rail, so take my next comments with a grain of salt because I don't know how the adapters are (high quality, stick way out, prone to issues?? I just don't know).

With that disclaimer, I really really like the quick detach system for this bipod. When I put the rifle in a vice to clean, if I want to knock the width down for transport, if I want to shoot off a front rest, etc it is literally a 10 second operation to remove the bi-pod. It is a feature I use a lot (and wish I had on my "conventional" bipod on my 300 WSM).
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
This does not directly answer your question, but all my rifles are in the 12-15lb range except for the lone rimfire. I have shot all these rifles off harris or clone bipods. If you use the legs that pull out until they latch (as opposed to intermediate positions) I have never had any kind of issue. I also have a 24" bipod for a seated position and that holds the 15lb rifles just fine too.
just borrowed friends bi pod 24 inch to see if i would like one i do shoots very well on my colt le6920 do you shoot hand guns beeb shooting my ruger sbh 44 mag can shoot 4 inch group at 60 yards open sights think i amm going to shoot a deer this year with it