Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Best shooting rest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

Best shooting rest?

I am looking to get a new rest and would like some suggestions . I like the Caldwell Rock BR so if anyone has one let me know what you think. I definitly want a two piece set up but if you know of another one let me know.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Best shooting rest?

here is the new rest approved for the UK military...

I don't quite know the weight or cost and I would worry about the stability under baked bean conditions or after Taco Tuesday....

[/url]

LOL.... just had to throw that on in for a laugh or two....WHOLE NEW MEANING TO THE TERM "SHOOTING BUDDY"

I think a two piece is the way to go too. I don't like the lead sled type of rests. I always try to shoot as close as I can to what the conditions will be in the field. I personally like my harris bipod in front and a good rear bag. I find that way, I have the same results in the field as at the range... just my .02
Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
SPONSOR

CAN'T GET PICS TO POST TOday

HAHA !!! GOT IT TO GO !!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Joe Cowan makes a nice solid rest (well,actually his students in his machine class makes them) and is hard to beat price wise.Last I knew (last fall anyway) the price was $210 and included shipping,but that may have gone up some since then.

Joe can be reached at jcowan1@aasdcat.com
Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 PM
SPONSOR

SM,
I would call it the "Hugel Butt Pod." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
A number of years ago Steve and I helped a newbie antelope hunter in Eastern Colorado get a doe. We met him earlier in the day and his daughter and mine were about the same age. We helped him make a stalk but he had nothing for a field rest. I kept talking to him to keep him calm and Steve assumed the position (not as intimate as the one pictured though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and the man was able to down his doe with the first shot.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Three letters: S E B! Best dang thing I ever bought to improve bench techniques. Lightnig fast, zero backlash, rock solid, fully functional.

Non-coaxial: Sinclair's rest with windage top makes a good buy but Hart's might be better.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Gold Member

Dang GG,Seb must have got that to you pretty fast! Out of curiousity how much adjustment does the coax handle give you up and down? Ive never handled a coaxial before,and dont know how they're made inside,what exactly keeps the weight of the gun from making the rest creep down? Is there a friction adjustment on it or something?