Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

BEST SCOPE MOUNTING SYSTEM FOR A SAKO 75 ACTION?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: BEST SCOPE MOUNTING SYSTEM FOR A SAKO 75 ACTION?

Can't say that I've ever had a problem with the Optilocks on my Sako 75 .300 Wby and I've got somewhere around 900 - 1000 rounds through it. On the other hand, I've got a set of Conetrols on my other Sako 75 and I like them also. In fact, I'd say I prefer them. The projectionless rings are nice looking and they're very stout as far as I can tell.

With that said, I've been considering the Near Mfg. setup to replace the Optilocks. However, I'm just not sure if I want that much taper (20 MOA I think) in the bases since I don't shoot at 1000 yards.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Near will make it without taper if you ask them to.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

Look at how your Optilocks actually secure - is everything nice and parallell, straight once tightened, lined up and so on. Mine aren't. Never had a "problem" though.

My Near Mfg base arrived yesterday. It'll be a while before I fit it, but it looks really nicely made. Richard at Near is very willing to help and give advice and guidance on all sorts of aspects surrounding your mounting set up and even your choice of scope.

I don't have experience with his product, but looking at it, I would say it's a good choice.

Wim
Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Near will make it without taper if you ask them to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've already inquired once by email and he indicated that a 20MOA taper base was all he made for the Sako 75 long action, which is what I have. I'll ask again, though. I'd buy a base with 10MOA, but I don't really don't want one with more than that. I don't want to pay a ton of extra money for something custom either.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:42 AM
SPONSOR

Don't sweat the 20 MOA. You'll still be able to get on @ 100 yds.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Gold Member

I have found some of the older Sako mounts that will fit on my Sako 75 rifle - anyone have experience with these older style Sako mounts??
Old 09-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Bronze Member

I contacted Richard, at Near mfg last week about getting several bases for a couple of Sako projects I am working on. He does not have any in stock and didnít know when he was going to have time to do any. Basically, he is busy working on more popular (money making) projects and does not have time to re-tool/program for 3-4 bases.

Since I need these bases, I would like to put together a LRH buy so that those in need can get these for their projects.

I have one Near base for a Sako, and they are the best bases money can buy Ė especially when you consider the machine fit in the dovetail of the Sako action.

If you want a Sako base now is the time to get together and make a group order so he will machine these before the end of the year. Let me know.