Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Best rifle case for the money.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Gold Member

Re: Best rifle case for the money.

I learned the solution to the Airlines problem years ago. When you get to the airport and check in your baggage, tell them you want insurance on your gun case. They'll try to talk you out of it but you should insist. Just buy enough to cover the case, maybe $200-$300 worth of insurance. It's not that expensive, $10-$15. They will put a big orange sticker on the outside of the case. It will be hand carried everywhere it goes. No conveyors, no baggage carts, not baggage gorillas throwing it around. It will be handed to the guy in the cargo hold and hand delivered to you in the baggage claim office. It's the only way to fly with an expensive firearm.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Check out the Plano 108190 on amazon, I find it hard to beat the value of this case for $139. I have the bone collector version because I liked the olive drab green color and then lightly sanded off the bone collector logo. I also have their version of this case for my Mathews bow and neither has let me down. For my rifle I traced the perimeter of my rifle, bolt, bi-pod, and a few boxes of ammo with a box of toothpicks and then removed the items and cut the foam with a serrated knife.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSickle View Post
I've taken my guns to Alaska many times and had the airlines tear the molding off my gun cases, bust a 1.5x 15" hole in a case to where you could see both my guns inside. Tore a handle off another case. Finally I bought a Cabela's extra long aluminum case and the airline gorillas dented in the end. I had to take a rubber mallet and pound it out so the seam would mate again! I had a $6000 gun/scope in that case. My friends case had the gunbarrel sticking out out of the end seam in the end if his case!!! They hit it that hard! The airlines have bought me two cases and a Zeiss 4x16 scope.
We had enough and bought a Pelican. Nary a problem since. They're scratch a lot but no more dents or cracks. I'll bet our new Pelican cases drives the baggage gorillas into therapy.
I don't buy it.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaps View Post
I have the bone collector version because I liked the olive drab green color and then lightly sanded off the bone collector logo.
I love it LOL!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

I just looked at these heavier Plano cases and they look like they should getthe job done.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Best rifle case for the money.-img_3091.jpg   Best rifle case for the money.-img_2758.jpg  

Best rifle case for the money.-img_0015.jpg   Best rifle case for the money.-img_0013.jpg  

Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrangehunter View Post
I don't buy it.
Huuum, I;m not sure what you don't buy or why you would doubt me. I'm currently up in the mountains so I can't reply with pictures but, tomarrow, when I get home I'll post some pictures of my cases.