Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Best LRH caliber to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Best LRH caliber to start with?

Wasn't meaning a .308 was hard kicking. I was trying to say you can make a 300wm, 300RUM, 30-378 and the like can be brought under the recoil level of a .308 sporter with a good brake.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy427 View Post
Wasn't meaning a .308 was hard kicking. I was trying to say you can make a 300wm, 300RUM, 30-378 and the like can be brought under the recoil level of a .308 sporter with a good brake.
That is a fact I try to point out all the time. With a properly engineered muzzle brake recoil should never be an issue. Hell my 338 I was referring to earlier in this thread is a 13lb 338 shooting 300grn at 2781fps. My wife has trouble with 270win recoil, my hunting partner has trouble with 300wsm recoil but they both love my little 338 cannon, They both shot it this year in pre-hunt refresher sessions....... they both ended up shooting there elk with it this year and they both want one. If you put a smart break on it you need to address hearing safety IE:walkers game ear but recoil quickly becomes a non issue.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
That is a fact I try to point out all the time. With a properly engineered muzzle brake recoil should never be an issue. Hell my 338 I was referring to earlier in this thread is a 13lb 338 shooting 300grn at 2781fps. My wife has trouble with 270win recoil, my hunting partner has trouble with 300wsm recoil but they both love my little 338 cannon, They both shot it this year in pre-hunt refresher sessions....... they both ended up shooting there elk with it this year and they both want one. If you put a smart break on it you need to address hearing safety IE:walkers game ear but recoil quickly becomes a non issue.
That is what I keep trying to tell people. But any time you suggest a 338 its always too heavy/recoil/blast bla bla bla. So they end up with a 9lb 300wm without a brake. OUCH.
I know a lot of 338 naysayers have never shot them because they dont adequately describe shooting or reloading for them. The brake and weight cure the recoil. Game ears cure the blast. Only other gripe they have cracks me up. They say the 338 is hard to load. HMMMM its the largest bore of an overbore clan but its not for beginners to load but the 300 is.HMMMMM smells funny.
338 is the only LR caliber if you wanna come down to it everything else is a MIDrange caliber.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphil View Post
I live not far from you so come down and shoot a 6.5-284 or a 7mm and you will find what you are looking for!
Very nice, I hope the OP takes you up on it.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

JPaul, we have a few things in common. I'm originally from PA. Family from the East side of the state and I spent a lot of time on the Southwest side going to school in California PA, and working a little. Shot my first deer back there with a 243, and my Uncle who was my hunting mentor used a 308. He was the most skilled and successful PA deer hunter I knew.

toddc, Wildrose, D.ID and others have offered you some very good perspectives and advise. If you already have a 308 then keep it. A great gun for general shooting and getting the feel for windage and a great short to mid-range hunting such as back there in PA. You already have a great PA deer rifle, so don't build another one.

Here are some good perspectives I want to reiterate for Western LR hunting. Your game will consist primarily of antelope, deer, elk and bear. Elk are big critters and the bigger the bullet you use on them, the better. For bear, big is good too.... you don't need to be tracking wounded bears and they may re-open Grizzly hunting soon.

Don't do the LR gun curve. Get the right gun for the job right off the bat. It's a lot cheaper and less time consuming. For that, I recommend .30 or .338 cal. Also, get a gun 1 or 2 steps more than you "need". It gives you "forgiveness".

My recommended minimum would be a 300 RUM and you might consider a 338 Lapua or EDGE. Those rifles speak with AUTHORITY, especially the 338's, and that's what you want for an "all around" Western LR rifle. If you want a repeater, get a custom action. Going the 700 route is quite expensive and to do it right means replacing the trigger and bolt, using just the receiver chassis. I've been through this. I'm not too familiar with the Savage actions, if they will allow a repeater for the long high BC 30's and 338's? If they do, then OK.

The 7 mags are great rifles. I've hunted quite a bit with a 7mm RM, but definitely not my first choice for a LR Elk rifle. Elf's maybe, but not Elk Like most of us, you will probably add more rifles to your collection. Start BIG and go from there.

Also, very important. Pick a good smith who knows and understands LRH, not just bench shooting. They are 2 different things. Your build will be a team effort and he will probably have a big influence in your project based on his vast experience.

Before you start spending $$$, spend a lot of time reading the many threads in here and maybe ask some more questions.

Welcome to LRH and good hunting.

Mark
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

So much good info on this thread. Most of it coming from guys with a couple extra posts and probably a couple extra notches under belt.

I'll be the first too tell you that I havent shot a single animal past 650 yards. I have limited time for hunting and cant find those shots very often. I am ready for over 1000 yards, as the steel and rocks will testify to.

I shoot a .338 RUM for hunting big game %100 of the time. I started with .338's and fell in love. 8 years into LR hunting and its still the go-to. I have other guns, and am actually hoping to build a 7mm WSM shortly (on a long action!).
however, being out east, i think that your plan of a 7mm WSM/SAUM on a long action is the way to go. with the exception of elk/grizzly it is IMO the best package going. You can keep the weight down and 7mm bullets are ALOT cheaper than .338 bullets. I nearly ran myself broke feeding the .338's.

I think that your well on your way, and are making the right choice %110!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

I love these threads when some know-it-all starts thinking their opinion is the only one that counts. The sharing of knowledge ceases when someone posts stuff like that. If you feel the need to pat yourself on the back, do it with shots on target and not your 1000+ posts. There are people here with a legitimate thirst for knowledge. You scare someone into not asking a question, one that might open your own eyes, for making them think it could be "dumb". Post count is NO replacement for trigger time.