Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Best LRH caliber to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best LRH caliber to start with?

Sounds like a solid choice.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like a good plan, I shoot some very similar set ups in my 270 or 270 WSM with .650+ bc bullets at 2850 or 3050 fps and they do a great job even on elk in the 800 yard range, mild shooting and easy going is a good way to start IMO. The RUM horse power is fun but the only reason I pull one out is because I'm out past 1100 yards on elk or I just want to blow something out of it's hooves

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-22-2012, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuak12 View Post
Am I crazy or would the old .30-06 (no longer sexy, I realize) provide the young man with a small ballistic boost over the .308 for the same price? I hear all the points made for bigger, faster, heavier, and longer but I'm just trying to respond to the original question. Bullet options are practically limitless.
There's nothing on the continent you can't handle with the 06 at 600yds, and if you take big brown bears off the list you can take that to 800yds and deer sized game to 1,000 easily.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yote yodeller View Post
A decent 7mm would make you happy I'm thinking. Start reloading and practising and you'll be pleasantly surprised at what it and you are capable of. An old Vietnam vet helped set me up with my 7 and 1000 yds is easily achieved. Would you shoot an animal at that range? That opens a whole different can of worms, are you capable of making a kill shot at that range? Is it ethical to take that chance of losing a wounded animal? Only you will know your capabilities and you make that call. Some folks can't and some can. Practice is the key with any caliber IMO as shot placement is the deciding factor in most long range kills. Just my 2 cents!
Ethics of LR hunting are not a subject welcome here on this site.

No one can make that decision for you anyhow. We each set our limits based on what we know are our capabilities.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaul17 View Post
Sorry for being such a deadbeat on my own post but I've been prepping for the late muzzleloader season in PA, I have been keeping up with the replies and there sure are alot of different views. I've tried to keep up with everyones thoughts and look at eachone and have a new plan of attack so to speak.

I realize the 308 is lacking alot when it comes the long range elk department and even not the best for deer. I know that sometimes oportunities arise that you just cant do anything about (that massive bull just one mountain over and your gun cant poke) but as an archery hunter theres a part of me that is driven by the chance to close the distance and the times that things just flat out dont go your way. I know there is always that remedy of the next caliber that may allow you to take that shot and even though I love hearing that boom-pause-thump theres gotta be a limit somewhere. I know I'll probably get alot of flack for saying that on a LR hunt but I realy cant see myself shooting past 1000yds but to me that more just seeing and shooting not too much of my style of hunting.

So back to the actual gun I'm turning towards a 7mm wsm or 7mm SAUM. I would love to just jump to a 300 weatherby or 300 rum but for the sake of the deer I hunt in PA I feel the 7 might be better. My main thinking was that due to still being in the East ill more than likely keep to a 140 or 160 class bullet, where the 7 has a better bc than the .30s. This would still allow me to go out west and have something miles ahead of a .308 and hopefully one day move up to one of the larger 300s or possibly a 338. I know people are still going to push for the bigger 300s but they seem to favor the bigger heavy bullets and I dont see the sense in running a conservative 165 bullet out of something like the 300rum for hunting here at home. Other reasons for the certain caliber choice is how much of a difference is there between short 7s and a longer one such as the stw or rem mag? My idea for the gun has stayed basically the same but now thinking of a 7wsm or saum and possibly in a long action to avoid magazine issues with longer bullets? Am I starting to get warmer with what would be appropriate. Thanks again for everyones input.
Having had to pull myself back from taking a longer shot with an inferior caliber on an absolutely monster class Mulie in Colorado years ago let me give you some advice.

If you think your limit is going to be 600 get enough gun to be confident at 800, if you think 800 will be your absolute limit be prepared for 1,000. Why? Because I guarantee you it's easy to find yourself in such a situation justifying to yourself that you really can make that shot even though it's beyond the reasonable limit you have with the given choice of rifle.

That being said look at the 300 wm or 300wsm. Both are great for deer sized game at any range most of us would consider shooting out to even 1,200yds with the right rig and bullet, and both will get the job done on elk at 800yds with ease.

The other I'd toss in is the .325wsm which is one I'd own for myself in a heartbeat if I didn't already have everything I need.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Having had to pull myself back from taking a longer shot with an inferior caliber on an absolutely monster class Mulie in Colorado years ago let me give you some advice.

If you think your limit is going to be 600 get enough gun to be confident at 800, if you think 800 will be your absolute limit be prepared for 1,000. Why? Because I guarantee you it's easy to find yourself in such a situation justifying to yourself that you really can make that shot even though it's beyond the reasonable limit you have with the given choice of rifle.

That being said look at the 300 wm or 300wsm. Both are great for deer sized game at any range most of us would consider shooting out to even 1,200yds with the right rig and bullet, and both will get the job done on elk at 800yds with ease.

The other I'd toss in is the .325wsm which is one I'd own for myself in a heartbeat if I didn't already have everything I need.
Quit tormenting yourself by using the gun guys "N" word. NEED. You may not need that 325 but it'd make a great thread! Seriously tho good advice all around. I like your 200 add for reality. I use 50% so 500 is 750. 1000 will get to 1500 real quick when you start pasting rocks at 1300! It may not happen to everyone but it sure as heck got me!
Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 AM
Gold Member

Got to me too. Success at anything is Addictive.