Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Best LRH caliber to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best LRH caliber to start with?

JPaul17, remember you said there are a lot of possibilities. Stay in the present-right now you don't live out west, you don't have an elk tag burning a hole in your pocket. You're in school so you realize there is a learning curve to things, and you can't jump over some steps. If its me I'd buy a great scope, shoot the 270, and 308 until they teach you all they can. If neither shoots well enough for your current situation get rid of both of them, for something better than you've got. Only you know what time, and resources you've got to play this game. There is a lot to get good optics, rangefinder, etc. very few of us can go buy it all and cry once. Take an old cast off stock, as long as its got sling swivels it will work, fill the barrel channel with lead until its 32lbs. take a hike where you currently hunt and see if it fits into how you hunt, and anticipate hunting. Nothing wrong with setting up in a fixed position it can be very productive. like bigngreen I try to keep flexible. Idaho has a 16lb weight limit, bush planes limit your weight, and some guides aren't going to let you load it on their animals.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP40 View Post
Nothing like going to the extreme. A 32# hunting rig? I don't think so. Like BnG sad, you have a decent start with the 270, but for a better, but not goofy round, the 7mag is hard to beat. Relatively easy to shoot and load, has enough punch to do the job, and it doesn't need to be 32#. The 7s are hard to beat.
In case anyone misunderstood I only mentioned the 338 32lb rig to give the idea of how much easier a little weight makes a gun. And yeah we hunt with it but mainly static setups. We do pack it some but I could stand to lose 32lb off my ass anyway so it just keeps me honest. We mainly are in flat/canyon land. Still a LR rig isnt a good place to be worrying about a little length or weight. Out here I need 10lbs of gun just so the wind doesnt blow you all over the place. I knew I should have googled windiest place in the US 1st!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

Skip steps! Skip steps! Plan ahead and skip all the expensive "steps" (AKA: mistakes others have made) The seven is all the gun you will ever need until you shoot a bigger one. My 300wsm was all the gun I could ever need until I saw a 300 grain smk smack its target at 1022 yards with AUTHORITY. Investing in a good scope and wearing out one you have by practicing is always solid advise but these projects take time and money, do not build a gun that is already outdated for your intended purpose or you will have a whole bunch more customized long guns than you need and money invested in that learning curve .............. Just like the rest of us.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
Skip steps! Skip steps! Plan ahead and skip all the expensive "steps" (AKA: mistakes others have made) The seven is all the gun you will ever need until you shoot a bigger one. My 300wsm was all the gun I could ever need until I saw a 300 grain smk smack its target at 1022 yards with AUTHORITY. Investing in a good scope and wearing out one you have by practicing is always solid advise but these projects take time and money, do not build a gun that is already outdated for your intended purpose or you will have a whole bunch more customized long guns than you need and money invested in that learning curve .............. Just like the rest of us.
So is this a vote for the 338 edge as being the only cartridge that matters?(besides even bigger 338s)? Yeah I like the way you think. Dont forget that sierra brought back the 375 350SMK. Training wheels for guns isnt the same as bicycles. Course dad wouldnt let me have those either cuz he said they were for wimps(I think he just enjoyed seeing me fall down).
Old 12-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Gold Member

LOL Done more than my share of falling down.............338edge for everyone =Definitely not. Actually I was not even recommending a 338 do to bullet expense (and competition over supplies if he gets one) I was just hoping not to see the op get talked into making that curve harder and more expensive than it has to be. I agree the seven mags are alright, the 30 mags set up for long range are even a little more versatile. I am just making the case for not repeating common mistakes. Purpose built long range guns in 308 win are a common mistake WOE WOE WOE everybody settle down and let me explain before you charge in (coincidentally another common mistake). The beloved 308 makes sense for shooting palma (restricted to 308) or as part of a military logistics solution or for the shooter that trusts himself with a loaded rifle but not with a reloading press. More Power, less recoil, less drift and Just all around Better cartridges exist for these purposes. Get out your 22lr for rifle fundamentals and then jump up to a rifle that makes sense, Which in this case is something well suited to a 600 yard range, enough power to dump an elk at that range and room to expand if he gets were he thinks he's going. I never knew what long range was until I started doing it and even here misinformation is rampant and folks have a tendency to recommend the path they took even if it is not the best route.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Silver Member

100% agree on that one. The reason I thought a 7stw/rum would be nice is that the big 30s(rum/378 etc) need a tad more lbs and brake to be shootable for a LR beginner, The torque alone is something to get used to. I used to shoot 240 smks and they were a handful out of a rum. I hear the 7rum is twitchy to reload for so I figured the stw would fall right in there belt be damned. And yes the 30s are more versatile but I think the new 195 is gonna change some things. The 300gr berger/smk from a 338 are so far above any 30 cal combo that it doesnt make sense not to shoot a 7mm. If you need more than a 7 ya might as well skip to a 338.
Dont ley me BS you though Ive used the 300 ultra and 30-378 a time or two lol. Wow remeber when a win mag was big? A weatherby HUUUUGE! 378 variant still is I guess, course it was a wildcat like the 25-06. God Im old.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

I'll say the 300 RUM.
Inherently accurate.
Easy to handload.
Awesome downrange ballistics.
Decent barrel life.
Won't kill you in dies or brass.

You'll want a brake, trust me. I would plan a 12 lb rifle and scope.

It is what I would start with, but the guys telling you to start with the scope are on the money. That $1200 swfa 5-20 will serve you well for decades of long distance shooting, and odds are pretty good that you will switch cartridges within a couple years.