Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Best cleaning rod, brushes, etc for price

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Best cleaning rod, brushes, etc for price

Have heard that the bore-tech outer covering does not last as long as the covering on Dewery's, anyone else think so? I like the nylon brushes as well.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

I've been using the Bore Tech rods for quite a while and would agree that the coating is not as durable as the Dewey rods.

The Bore Tech rods are available from Sinclair and Brownells.

I still like the Dewey rods and understand they have improved the bearing system in their handles which was the real advantage I saw in the Bore Tech rod.

Have not yet tried one of the new Deweys as my old ones are all still working fine.

Holmes
Old 02-09-2003, 11:00 PM

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 02-13-2003, 12:53 AM
Silver Member

I own both rods and I much prefer the Bore Tech. The handle is much more comfortable to hold and the rod seems to be somewhat stiffer. I don't think I've used the Dewey at all since buying the Bore Tech.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:32 PM

Bore Tech is almost perfect. The first two rods had problems and were returned about 8 months ago. Bore Tech promptly replaced them. The replacement rods developed multiple problems and were sent back 2 months ago. Just got them back, unrepaired. Bore Tech says they are fine. When I called and asked how a problem with a handle, a cracked rod, and coating coming off is "OK", they explained the rods were "very old". Six months is very old?

Bottom line: four rods & six problems. No satisfaction. My Dewey rod doesn't have as nice a handle or rotate as easily. But it works, does not break, nor does the coating come off.

My advice is to buy a Dewey rod.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

My Dewey rod is under a year old. The handle is nice and the bearings are fine, it seems I'll just stick with them. They come VERY long if needed too. Thanks for the customer service report there, and welcome to the board too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2003, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

Deweys last for years never had any problems.
Last year got a set of Bore Techs used them for a almost a season and the coating started cracking. Sent them back took 8 weeks to get replacements. Got the replacements and sold them.