Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Best bullet weight for 300rum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best bullet weight for 300rum

Having a big 30 cal and being able to hold dead on out to 400yrds on an antelope..... priceless.

Steve
Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Thanks, LTLR--your post here and a couple of others have shed a lot of light on this for me. I am excellent at ballistic theory but not so much at putting it into practice.

I will use LR shooting for two purposes--feral hogs here in Texas at 500 yards maximum (can't get a bigger open lane through the brush on my place) and in places like Colorado and your home state, if and only if I cannot stalk in closer. In the former instance, I will be shooting much farther than I have to (I could move the feeder in to 50 yards from the blind) and in the latter instance, I will be frank that, on the last hour of the last day of mule deer season, facing the loss of my 15 preference points in the high country of the People's Republic of Colorado, looking across the basin at a 300 non-typical, I will try any shot I have a reasonable hope of making.

I think I can state with confidence that I will NEVER attempt a shot longer than 700 yards because (1) I am just too damned old and (2) won't have an opportunity to devote the practice time and dollars to develop the ability and (3) 700 yards is the farthest my Leica 1200 range finder can reliably repeat.

In all probability, I will be carrying the "little" .300 Remmy most of the time at altitude anyway--comes in just under 7 pounds. Thanks again.

Russ
Old 01-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

I understand about the big Mulie. I tried for 12 years to draw 21 in Colorado. Last year I shattered my left leg and the doctor said no way I would be walking in the 2008 hunting season. Two weeks later the tag came in the mail after 12 years and I couldn't hunt. I rode around the 2 tracks glassing for 3 days because I couldn't walk. At daylight on opening morning I got a gross 198 mulie down a long canyon from the old 2 track. Some nice guys from Granfd Junction got it out for me. I would loved to have hunted that unit hard though but I ain't complaining a bit.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 PM

A buddy of mine and I tried for 5 years to draw the Greys River down near Afton. We finally got there, and hiked in with about 90 pounds on our backs--unfortunately there were about a billion sheep in the valley--with--you guessed it--many vaqueros from the mountains of Mexico, and their excellent--but loud dogs. My buddy and I had no idea that the big bucks would leave the country--duhhhh. We scouted hard and hunted hard for a total of about 10 days--and drew a blank. Saw huge Elk on the ridge lines but as Monica Lewinsky would say: "close but no cigar."

When we first got into the valley, I asked one of the Vacqueros: "Ay muchos venedos grandes aqui?" To which he replied, "Oh, si, Senor. Muchos y muy muy grande!" Stupid me--he was not distinguishing between elk and deer.

I also have a friend living up in the farm country around Greybull. I went up there and saw the 5 single largest whitetail bucks I have ever seen in the wild--including South Texas. I got a shot at 160 class--biggest I ever had a shot at--hit it and followed the blood trail. Little did I know my "buddy" was on the radio with his brother, telling him where the deer had run off to. The brother then tracked it down and shot it without my knowledge.

What's a Mother to do?????

Russ
Old 01-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

[quote=jmden;256083]It took me awhile on this site to realize the wisdom of the heavy for caliber bullets. I went through the 'speed' phase as well until I started looking at and understanding other numbers. With the 300RUM, I would start with the 200 AB as the light end of bullets for the chambering, then look at the 208 AMAX, 210 Berger and ultimately, the 240SMK. The 240SMK backed by around 103-104.5g of US869 will produce velocities at or just below 3000fps.

Ouch!! My shoulder huts just reading that. What scope do you use: dots or dial it in? I am loading a 168 TSX w/ R25 and getting about 3426 fps. The 240 must have a wicked kick.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Hey long time long ranger
Is it hard to poor that H-870 in that ultra mag? I love the stuff, but just about to running out of it. retumbo just dont cut it after useing 870. Do you have a big stash of it? Im down to 4 lbs. I would ask if you would sell some but i know the anser.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 LEGEND View Post
Hey long time long ranger
Is it hard to poor that H-870 in that ultra mag? I love the stuff, but just about to running out of it. retumbo just dont cut it after useing 870. Do you have a big stash of it? Im down to 4 lbs. I would ask if you would sell some but i know the anser.
338, You might look at Hodgdon US 869. Very slow ball powder and they list is as an extreme powder. It's the replacement for 870, if I recall correctly. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl