Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Benchrest Magazine Follower Questions(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Benchrest Magazine Follower Questions(s)

1) Do all manufactures make the 'flat' on the bottom?

2) After installation of the follower and, a rebedding is going to be done, is it wise/necesary to bed the entire receiver or just front and tang as is usual?
Old 02-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Benchrest Magazine Follower Questions(s)

I don't know about the bottom of magazine followers, but the whole receiver that's hid by the stock should be bedded. But none of the magazine should touch the stock at all; 1/32nd inch clearance around the magazine is fine.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Filled the magazine portion of the stock. Will expoxy the follower in. Will shoot single shot.

I would like for the br follower to fill the bottom of the action so that there are no edges around the magazine slot in the action.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Based upon my experience I would avoid like the plague having any part of the action touching the follower if the follower is bedded to the stock.

Similarly, If you glue the follower to the action I would free float the follower so there is no contact under or around the follower.

The mistake to avoid is not get a pressure point in the middle of the reciever which will cause "rocking" of the action and change of point of impact every time the you re-tighten the action to the stock. Such and issue is hard to track down and very frustrating to shoot with. Being as the followers are made out of aluminum there might be some temperature expansion or contraction issues.

I think it is a great idea. I had been wondering what I would do when my FN action 240 gets out of the shop. I am not sure the long 105-115gr bullets will feed from the magazine without banging the fool out of the bullets. For $12.00 this seems like the cure.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

Roy...if you don't mind my asking, what did you fill the magazine void with...I'm considering possibly bedding a single shot action into an ADL or BDL stock? thanks, Larry