Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bell and Carlson stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Bronze Member

Bell and Carlson stocks

Need a new stock for a sporter 300RUM. Is the Bell and Carlson sporter stock any good? I know HS and McMillan are good, but the Bell and Carlsons are priced very resonable, and this rifle will only be used for one week long elk hunt next year, so I hate too spend $400 on a stock for the one hunt, but I want to improve over the factory junk.

Thanks
RidgeRooster
Old 12-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bell and Carlson stocks

I can understnad the not wanting to pay 400 for a stock but if you decide to sell that gun it will increase your value. I dont know much abou the Bell and Carlson stocks.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

RidgeRooster, B&C stocks are used by Remington on some of their rifles(like their Titanium 700). Stocks are heavy compared to the better stocks out there. They are fairly stiff and stable. My biggest problem is their weight. You won't gain any weight loss using a B&C. You might even go up! With after market stocks, you get what you pay for!
Old 12-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Bronze Member

This past summer, I put a B&C stock on my .300 WM for an elk hunt in the fall. I was pleased with it, although I did spend some time sanding and fitting. I, too, did not want to spend $400 for what might be a one-time hunt.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:36 PM

i just bought a used model 700 in 7mm rem as my first long range rifle, it came with a b&c stock it dosent seem to weigh any less than a conventional stock but it fits me like a coustom stock. i am a small stautre guy 5'9" @ 155lbs but since the rifle fits me it seems to recoil like a mild 308. I do need to do a little sanding to fully float the ballel this summer,but I am already shooting ~.5 moa at 100 yards with factory ammo so i might just leave well enough alone. I think that they are great for the price.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:22 PM

Ridgerunner: try the B&C Carbelite stock, I had purchased 1 of them for Mdl.77 Ruger Rifle and been very pleased with it . I do have 4 McMillens and I have to say You do get what You pay for .
I purchased one for My son's Ruger 270 Cal the B&C Carbelite and it shot very well , I also have a Rem 700 with that Factory plastic stock they put on them about 12 yrs. ago and so I purchased another one for it and I do like it and it does feel better that the Rem Factory plastic stock but it is heavier.
I will say this also if you had both stocks together , you would probably pick the Mcmillen over the B&C . there is that much difference between the two in feel and quality.I also realize that there is a big money difference also.
You might keep checking on Ebay (rifle stocks) that is where I purchased both of the Carbelite B&C stocks
Navarro
Old 12-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Just look at their website and saw a Tactical stock ala McMillan A-5 for $398 complete with adjustable cheekpiece and buttplate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. I was wondering if anyone here have tried em. I don't want to waste 400 bucks and be disappointed later on. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]