Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Beginners Luck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-28-2008, 05:59 PM

I shot 27 reloaded rounds.
No problem with firing, but I'm not sure about accuracy.

The first six tweaked-in slow because I re-zeroed at 100 yards after adjusting eye relief and level.
Also, wind was 10-15 from two oíclock.
Shots seven through 27 saw seven 3-shot spreads vary between .75Ē and 2Ē.
Between the re-loads, me and doping for the wind, itís hard to isolate effects on accuracy.
Iíll try again on a calmer day.

Unread 01-29-2008, 01:00 AM

Sounds like your on your way to getting the hang of reloading. But your neck tension sounds loose if you can pull them out with your fingers. Might check your sizing die against someone elses for proper neck tension.
Your groups in the wind sounded good for I believe you said a pointed soft point. You might think about a 175gr Sierra Match King hollow point. Great accuracy and more down range energy for the long shots. Bucks the wind good to. And here in Oklahoma we have wind. Good luck with everything.
Unread 02-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks kolt. I'm about to reload another batch right now.
I'll pick up some 175 hp this weekend.

I shot 36 more today and it was windy again. (10-15 @ 2 o'clock)
If .75" to 2" in the wind is good, then I reckon I'm doing okay.
I was just worried because both times I've shot my reloads so far its been windy.
The combination variables of wind, reload and my skill makes it hard to isolate one from the others.
I know I could be smoother on the trigger.
Also, I don't want to start taking this apart to adjust the accutrigger yet, until I'm more familiar with it.

The neck tension thing may have to do with the force I use in pressing.
If the die is low on neck tension, is that something that can be adjusted?
How can I correct it.
Is it a warranty issue?

Unread 02-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member
Measure both the vertical and horizontal dispersion and record both. If you know it was windy and gusting then look hard at the vertical and ignore the horizontal. The horizontal is mostly wind effects (you hope).

Neck tension with a Lee neck die is about two things. The amount of force applied and the hardness of the neck.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 03-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Looks like you're exactly right about neck tension on my Lee die BB.

Iíve been getting Ĺ to ĺ inch spreads @ 100 yards with my reloads.
But I noticed some brass was fitting tight in the chamber, and today I think I figured out why.

I think the die was set a bit too low and I was slightly crushing the body of the brass just below the neck while pressing.
This set a whole process of re-tweaking die-height and bullet depth adjustments.
I also discarded several crushed cartridges.

The brass on factory rounds grip the bullet just below the knurled relief for crimping so it took several adjustments to get the brass to grab the bullet in the right place.
Iíd appreciate any more advice or insights.

Unread 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Okay, three groups with factory ammo (150 sp) were .625 to .75 width and height @ 100yds.
But the handloads (150 FMJ/BT,) while grouping the same were consistently low, even after scope adjustment.
H335 specs for Lymanís 48th is 38-45.
Mine were loaded at 42.5.
I reckon making them a bit hotter will minimize bullet drop.
Any suggestions on powders and/or measurements?

Unread 03-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

You are getting some top notch advice. Pay attention to what Buffalobob says, it will be come even more important as time goes on.

I gather you're shooting a Savage in 308. You're shooting lots of rounds. Let the barrel cool. You'll also want to clean it fairly often during these early stages. I'm one of those fellows that shoots way more than I should to get the job done.:( But hey, it is kind of fun, but wears out expensive barrels too soon.

You mentioned that your hand loads shot low even with scope adjustments. That's a symptom of something but I don't know of what. The point of impact should move with any scope adjustment.:confused:

Sneak up on the max loads carefully. Watch for any hint of bolt lift or extraction pressure. Those are sure signs that pressures are getting on the high side.

Look closely at the firing pin indent on the factory cases that have been fired. Manufactures of primers have different softness of primers but what you see on you factory firings is a good indicators.

When the primers on your hand loads begin to look like the factory fired primers, pressures and velocities are close to what the factory is doing. Not exact by any means but in the same ball park, probably.

Chamfer the inside and outside of the case mouth after as a front step in the reloading/case prep process. Your bullets will start more smoothly.

Dream small, as in group size, and have fun.
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!