Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Beginners Luck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
I did not mean for you to leave the scope set at 200 yards but to just dial it up for that session and then dial it back down to 100 yards when you are finished at 200.

The guns that the benchrest shooter use and the rests that they use and the calibers that they use are specialized for that sport.

If you see a hunter type up that his hunting rifle shoots in the 2s then don't buy a used truck from him.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club

Unread 01-17-2008, 03:20 PM

Then I reckon my .75 isn't so bad then.

I didn't think you meant a permanent adjustment bob.
I'm just saying I may tweek the high-right out with a more careful trigger pull.

However, it seems if my goal is long-range accuracy, then should I set zero at 200 as a starting point and adjust up-and-down from there?

My nephew emailed me some pics and that little turkey has been bagging hogs here from distances of 300 yards.
That little crumb-cruncher snuck up on a batch of them with a dad-gum kalishnokov and bagged four on the run.

I found out I go hunt them as much as I want all year.
I'm just wondering what land I can use.
He was on his friend's land while working here last fall.

I'm still wondering about the use of reloads as well.

Unread 01-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Silver Member
Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
Reloading is cheaper for most calibers...the 7mm RUM I just bought; factory ammo averages about $50 per box of 20. I know I can get it down to a bunch less than that reloading.

I have little to no true long range experence, but I am thinking about a 300 yard zero. If I stretch it out from there I can adjust it up. From 0 yards to 300 you should be able to do a straight hold on, on deer size game down to pasture puppies.
There is not such thing as too many guns, safes or fishing poles!
Unread 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Hey Captn,

Seein you're in this part of TX, where can I do some hog-huntin?

Unread 01-26-2008, 11:41 AM

Well, I got my Lee re-loader kit and 308 dies.
I think I figured out adjustments for the primer knock-out pin.
It seems that the die doesnít envelope the whole cartridge, so I lowered the pin to poke out the primer.
Hope I ainít missing nothing.
I cleaned the pockets, chamfered the neck in-and-out and am about to start fooling with powder measurements.

I narrated the first 14 chapters of Lymanís 48th.
I reckon I could use a chronograph, and some mics and calipers.
I gotta measure cartridge length and I want bullet-seating-depth to be perfect for accuracy.
I read in Lyman's that, when using the same rifle, its best to simply use a neck-reshaping die (as opposed to reshaping the whole cartridge,) as the body of the cartridge performs best when it gets its shape from the chamber.

Forty rounds through a brand new rifle (the first three went through the top of the barn!) and I'm already loading my own.

Unread 01-26-2008, 04:12 PM

Your new here. Me too. I think this is a very helpful site. You should fit in well, as most here are savage people.. Me, Im all Remington. Your stock gun can throw up some great stats.
Start here: Bed it..Float it.. break in the barrel..and reduce trigger to 1.5#. The rest is on you and your ammo.. My .308 likes 168bthp.(Fed Gold Match)All barrels like diff ammo. Buy a few diff of each and c which one your barrel likes. If you know of someone who can hand load for you, this is a GREAT start. Get some Snap Caps for the gun and practice trigger pulls.
Google "fundamentals of percision shooting" should get great direction
Good luck!
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks Tryn,
I'm learning how to load my own now.

I reloaded the shells from my first 40 rounds with the same bullets (150 sp) and 38.7 grains of H335.
Iíll be taking them to the range tomorrow (Monday.)

Iím concerned about how tight the neck holds the bullet.
Everything Iíve read says crimping a 308 isnít necessary, but some were loose and had to be repressed.
All can be wrenched with my fingers if I try.
It seems a bit precarious.
I donít think factory ammo is that loose.