Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Beginner caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Re: Beginner caliber

so, going to that take the advice of getting two guns and just get a long range deer rifle this time around.my reasoning Is I found a 7 mag savage for $350.now I'm just going to cross my fingers it's still there at the end of the month when I get paid. a year or 2 before I go elk hunting I'll make sure to pick up something bigger.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Bronze Member

There's a lot of good information and advice in this thread. Shooting at anything out to 1000 yds. requires that the shooter enjoy shooting the gun, knows his/her cartridge, can read the wind, and practices until they feel it the wallet. Get out to the range and get comfortable with what you have, then practice against your buddies to get the feel for making decisions fast. I've wounded my share of critters, found some, lost the rest. I have never shot at anything over 500 yds. away. My longest shot was 350 yds. on a White Tail hauling oats across a prairie in Nebraska. It went down to a 139 grain interlock out of a 7 x 57 Mauser. Do Elk just stand there at 1000 yds. and wonder why the dust is flying around them, or do they wonder anything? The last Elk I shot at was 35 yds. away in the deep black timber of Bear Gulch in Eagle County Colorado. It did not stand still and wait for a follow up shot.

Crusty Buck
Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Bronze Member

Hurl427,

Get comfortable with that 7 mag. and don't be too quick to give it up for the long range shots. Berger makes a nice 195 grain with excellent BC and SD. Put it in the right place and collect the meat.

Crusty Buck
Old 06-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

That 7 mag will get you out there quite a ways, even on elk. As crusty mentioned, develop a solid load for it and shoot a bunch. You'll figure our what your limitations are as you go.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 AM

thanks for the help guys and who knows maybe when I setup my trip I'll tell the guide what range I'm comfortable shooting the 7 and we can keep it limited.