Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Beginner caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Beginner caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurl427 View Post
Not a horrible thing if placed right. Would you let a deer or elk walk if it was to close?
Placement is key. The vast majority of my hunting shots have been rib/lung shots. Very little meat damage. Based on my experience, a non meat damaging shot usually presents itself. If you do have to take out a shoulder at closer range it would certainly not be optimal but sometimes stuff happens.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Benchracer pm sent
Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
At 300 yards, with an impact velocity of around 2500 fps, a 300g OTM is going to leave a 6" hole going in and an 8" hole going out? Absent supporting evidence, I am not buying this. You are essentially making the claim that a 300g OTM is going to behave like a varmint bullet at 300 yards, with a fairly low impact velocity. This is a highly suspect claim.

Has this actually happened to you or have you actually observed this? If your 300g OTM behaves this explosively on a deer, why on earth would you consider shooting it at an elk?

I've seen bullets from calibers up to .30 caliber come unglued at close range (inside 30 yards, not 300 yards) and ruin meat. I have never seen or even heard of a heavy, large caliber projectile doing this. In fact, quite the contrary.
I'll post some pictures later this evening of a couple antelope hit with a 300 OTM starting out at 2800fps, one hit at 300 yards and one at 965 yards.

I know what your talking about in previous posts with large bullets hitting slow, I taken a pile of deer with a 45-70 with bullets ranging from 300 HP to 520 cast lead and I've seen a few with a 40-65 with cast bullets all very minimal damage but if you'd shot any light game with a 300 OTM you'd know what they do. An elk can suck it up but a light deer or antelope simply can't hold it's self together when that big bullet opens, it's violent!!

I would not hesitate to shoot an elk or deer close with one because I have but I'm just letting the OP know it in a different league!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

May i also add that 300 grains is a lot of lead to disperse in the 12" required to make it half way through an elk chest up close.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Apparently I forgot to mention I have 7.62x54r to fill the need of short to mid range paper and deer. Will probably use it for form and practice too.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I'll post some pictures later this evening of a couple antelope hit with a 300 OTM starting out at 2800fps, one hit at 300 yards and one at 965 yards.

I know what your talking about in previous posts with large bullets hitting slow, I taken a pile of deer with a 45-70 with bullets ranging from 300 HP to 520 cast lead and I've seen a few with a 40-65 with cast bullets all very minimal damage but if you'd shot any light game with a 300 OTM you'd know what they do. An elk can suck it up but a light deer or antelope simply can't hold it's self together when that big bullet opens, it's violent!!

I would not hesitate to shoot an elk or deer close with one because I have but I'm just letting the OP know it in a different league!!
Roger that! If you have observed this, I am not inclined to argue with real world experience. Good enough for me! It would seem, then, that one would need to be mindful of shot selection at closer range with the big stuff.

Good to know!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post

Pics please? Not that I don't believe u, I just want to see