Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Beginner caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 AM

Re: Beginner caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I don't think you can blame poor shot placement and misjudging of distance on a caliber.

To the OP, when you put elk, especially bull elk into the LR (1000 yds) equation you're in a whole different ball game than deer and antelope when choosing a rifle. Elk have been killed at long ranges by 7mm's and lesser, but I would recommend a 300 magnum of some kind as a minimum. A 338 (not WM) would be better yet. If you're not going to do much LR elk hunting, you might buy a rifle more suited to deer and antelope and get a second rifle specifically for elk down the road. The minimum LR deer rifle I would start with would be a 6.5x284. Great cartridge. Depending on your load and elevation, it may or may not get you to 1000 yds with enough velocity to ensure good expansion and penetration. The ballistic calculators will tell you that.

Welcome to LRH
I originally wanted a 338 lapua, ive researched the costs and pros and cons. I can afford it so thats not a problem. I shyed away from it cause the longest i could shoot it is 1200 yards and my understanding is there are other calibers well suited for less than 1200 yards. Its still in my head fir wanting one, I just want to make sure it's what I want before I get it. It's been my dream cartridge for years and now it's within reach. Like I said just want to be sure...
Old 06-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

the rifle is more important than the caliber. get a remington with a krieger barrel or equivalent. get a 7mm mag or 300 win mag. you can load them down if you choose. heavier is better for targets.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurl427 View Post
I originally wanted a 338 lapua, ive researched the costs and pros and cons. I can afford it so thats not a problem. I shyed away from it cause the longest i could shoot it is 1200 yards and my understanding is there are other calibers well suited for less than 1200 yards. Its still in my head fir wanting one, I just want to make sure it's what I want before I get it. It's been my dream cartridge for years and now it's within reach. Like I said just want to be sure...
I have been drooling over the Savage .338 Lapuas myself. I can't blame you for wanting a Lapua of one flavor or another. You will need another rifle to go with it, though. NOTHING wrong with that!

I know I would enjoy shooting one, even if I don't yet posess the skill to shoot it to its potential.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:15 PM

Let's sayI a deer or elk pops out a hundred yards what would a 338 Lapua do?
Old 06-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

most of my ammo is fired in matches. after competing ( 66 rounds) at 500-1000 yards; i don't shoot a lot hunting. most matches they don't allow .338 and most don't allow breaks.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
most of my ammo is fired in matches. after competing ( 66 rounds) at 500-1000 yards; i don't shoot a lot hunting. most matches they don't allow .338 and most don't allow breaks.
I'll have to check my range for rules
Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurl427 View Post
Let's sayI a deer or elk pops out a hundred yards what would a 338 Lapua do?
You would have a dead deer or elk on your hands and, if you are shooting heavy bullets, probably with very little damaged meat. The Lapua isn't all that fast, it mostly allows you to launch heavy, low drag bullets that are very efficient at long range.

A few years ago, I shot a small doe at 12 yards with a .375 H&H. The 250g lead bullet made a caliber sized entry hole, took off the top of the heart, and made a caliber sized exit hole. It didn't appear to expand and, other than the little bit that got blown out the exit hole, there was no meat loss at all. Granted, I used ammo that I had downloaded to 38-55 velocity, but I don't think the results would have been much different with a full power load.

IME, it is the lighter, faster rounds that tend to damage meat. One advantage of being "over gunned" (relative to deer) is that the larger stuff tends to kill cleanly while keeping meat damage to a minimum.