Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bedding a Savage Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Bronze Member

Bedding a Savage Stock

Hi everyone! I have a Savage 116 Weather Warrior in 7mm Rem Mag that I'm thinking about replacing the stock on. Right now it shoots one inch groups at 100yds, which is plenty accurate enough for the hog hunting I usually do (typical range is usually around 100yd shots and never over 200) but I want to start hunting sheep in the mountain and ranges will be more like 200-300yd shots for the sheep and possibly out to 400yds. Scope on this rifle is a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 with Talley lightweight mounts if that matters at all.
Overall, I'm very happy with the out-of-the-box accuracy of my Savage, but I think the factory stock (not accu-stock) is a weak point. I'm thinking about glass bedding the stock and if that doesn't help, then replacing the stock.
My question is this: what are typical accuracy gains from bedding a synthetic stock such as the factory Savage non-accu stock? Also, would I be better off just buying a better stock instead of bedding the factory stock, and what type of replacement stock would you suggest?
I don't have any experience with this so please excuse me if this seems like a dumb question and I'm open to anyone's thoughts who has more experience than me.
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bedding a Savage Stock

I would and did get a new stock. I've heard that the factory tupperware stocks are hard to bed well. They are pretty flimsy stocks, an aftermarket, more rigid stock, properly bedded would be my suggestion
Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Bronze Member

The stock does feel pretty flimsy... But I want to try to do the bedding myself, so I was thinking I'd bed the factory stock for practice. If it ended up well maybe I'd stop there and if I wasn't happy with the results I could buy a better stock and bed that one as well. What stock did you end up buying?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

If you do bed your factory stock, some people have used carbon arrow shafts to stiffen their stocks by epoxying them in in the forend of the stock. That should add stiffness. other than That, I've heard that Savages don't like having their tangs bedded. Oh, and I've also seen that you need to make mechanical locks for the bedding compound because some bedding epoxies don't like to stick to the Savage tupperware that much

I ordered a Hunting Sporter from Stockade going to be another 8-12 weeks for it to arrive...They are running 16-20 weeks out right now...Stockade got a lot of reall good reviews from Savage shooters so I took a chance, we'll see how I like it in another couple months.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

Try visiting Savage Shooters Forum - Index there is a wealth of information concerning bedding a Savage stock.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackiinSD View Post
Try visiting Savage Shooters Forum - Index there is a wealth of information concerning bedding a Savage stock.
^

agree with this...I'm a member there too
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackiinSD View Post
+1 That is a good forum full of good folks....I am a member there also...............I bedded the factory tupperware very easily on my 116 and even without reinforcing the forend she was a tack driver, remember savages need a floating rear tang. I eventually switched to the choate tactical primarily for grip and length of pull but the factory bedded stock did give good service. Stear clear of the B&C duramax as I had to completely reinlet one before moving on to the choate.