Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Barrel length for .300 Winchester Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Bronze Member

Barrel length for .300 Winchester Magnum

I have been shooting a Ruger M77 MKII with the funky Zytel stock for 4 years now, as a hunting rifle it is first rate. I have on occasion fired some really good groups with it, numerous times I have been able to cover 3 shots with a nickle or a quarter at 200 meters. Now I want more, and I am wondering if it is worth it to go to a 26" barrel, this one has about 1700 rounds through it, and shows no signs of throat erosion, but if it is worth it, I may rebarrel with a 26" one. Also, since I swapped for a Rem. 700 BDL in 22-250, that has a 2lb trigger, I am having a hell of a time shooting the Ruger, I love my Ruger, but the trigger stinks, and no one around here gives me any confidence to work on it. I am in the Air Force, and am about to embark upon a one year unaccompanied tour to Egypt, when I return, I will be going back to New Mexico, I want an intermediate range (500-700yds) rifle. I load 200gr Nosler Partitions now, with healthy doses of IMR7828, and the Ruger lets me seat the bullets out a fair amount. For that kind of range, what power optics do I need? My interest has done nothing but increased.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:49 AM
Gold Member

Re: Barrel length for .300 Winchester Magnum

You are going back to N.M., to be restationed, or you are from there?
I was stationed at Cannon for 2 and a half years.
My daughter was born there.
Sorry, cant help you with your Winnie.
But, if you got a shooter, get a new rifle, or action, and start a project rifle, and leave the 300 alone.
Whats your AFSC???? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Bronze Member

I am being reassigned to Holloman, I was stationed there before coming here to Alaska. Volunteered to do my second remote now, in hopes of staying here in Alaska afterwards, but as they are over manned at my skill level, I asked to go back to Holloman. I am a 2A372, F-16, F-117, F-22, CV-22, or Predator UAV Flightline Avionics.
As for the Ruger, it shoots, but the trigger is horrible, may look at an aftermarket, but I have heard some bad things about them too.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Gold Member

Been to Alamogordo many times, in route to Juarez...Yehaw!!!
Seems like a million years ago.
I was a Transportation, Vehicle Maint. 47252
Thats a nice area for lopes and big mulies, you ever hunt them when you were there?
I booked a hunt in Raton this year. Ive not been to the state of N.M. since '86...
Get the trigger reworked on the Ruger, or get the aftermarket one, like a Jewel or Timney......sakofan...
Does the Remmy have the factory trigger reworked, or changed out??
Old 04-20-2003, 10:03 PM
Bronze Member

The Remington has a reworked factory trigger, it is too light for my taste, but it will shoot a .38" group at 200 meters, should do quite well on them New Mexico coyotes. I have been to Cannon TDY, a little on the flat side for me, and not enough public land. I see you are in S. Carolina, are you near Shaw? I went to high school there back in the early 80's. I did do some mulie hunting around Holloman, but did not connect, what I really want is a nice antelope, and a coues deer, being born in Oregon, I have chased my share of mule deer, my favorite animal of all is the elk. Thanks for the trigger advise.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:29 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, a little flat!!! I thought the N.M> state tree was a telephone pole!!!
I live near Charlotte, N.C., not near Sumter.
Cannon had F-111D's when I was there, I think they switched to F-15's???
2 pounds is a little light for a hunting rifle, I prefer 2 and a half.
I have been in the same place you are with a rifle, wanting to inprove it and all.
With that many rounds through it, I would probably invest in a new project rifle.
Optics, I really like the Zeiss Conquest series for a number off reasons, especially for hunting.I went w/ the 3.5x10x44 and have been really pleased, you may or may not need more power for the shots you are looking at taking.....sakofan.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

AKBman, Fly, Fight, Win. is that still our motto. Bitburg 21/2 yrs, Nellis 8yrs, after the gulfwar, early retirirment. Got a buddy that works for the German AF at Holloman, Ron Storm. I'd probably put a Timney trigger on that Ruger cuz I know how it is to have one trigger lighter then the next, I can forward you my instructions on how to adjust your Remington trigger if you like, really easy, jarhty28@hotmail.com, don't touch that barrel if it shoots that good, unless your velocity is way down, my old Hornady manual shows where they put 2000 rds through a 7Mag. and after the 2000 it lost about 200fps, yours maybe not that bad, if you know someone with a Chronograph, see how close the velocity is to the manual your using. That 200grainer can't be the flatest shooting bullet, ever try 178gr A-Max, or 180gr MK? Guys on this forum use'em all the time with great success. Everybody knows I'm the Burris man, so I'll tell ya to check out a 4-16 Signature or Black Diamond, excellent scopes that won't break your bank. Do you mean when you get back to Holloman you'd like to get a new rifle for that range? 260Rem. 708, 308, or 30-06. 7mmWSM or 300WSM will give you a little more range. Good Luck, Jay Gorski, SSGT, Retired(early)64550