Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Barrel decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Bronze Member

Barrel decisions

I hope this is in the right section,

I have gone back to a 30-06 as my all round, go to rifle, for anything considered "big game", ie pigs, deer, elk, or anything else I may be lucky enough to ever get to hunt.

Right now it sports the factory 22" sporter weight barrel. The rifle is an older Savage 110, pre accutrigger, staggard feed, detachable magazine model. Currently has a wood stock that has seen it's better days. I would prefer to keep the det magazine but if forced to I can convert it easily to blind magazine.

As mentioned, the barrel is a 22" sporter, and when/if I swap it out, I am wondering/considering the merits of longer, heavier weights. Never thought of fluting a barrel before, but I have to say after seeing the one that Steven Rinella uses on "The Meat Eater" show, they do look cool, plus I figured I could get slightly longer, heavier barrel, fluted for the same weight, right?

Would fluting a barrel, say a 24" heavy mag contour or even a varmint weight, get the weight close to the sporter? I live and hunt mostly in CA, but may have the opportunity for elk in other states, like Utah. The country I hunt here, the range could go from 50yds to 300-400, which is my self imposed limit anyway.

In an '06 would I see enough advantage of a longer barrel, to make it worth it? Are the 26" barrel REALLY cumbersome in the woods. How much slower does the 26" tube swing? Would a 24" magnum/heavy mag contour, fluted, be a better choice?

My 22" tube is delivering groups of 3/4" to 1 1.25" with the Barnes 168gr TTSX, which will be my all round bullet. Opens at 1800fps (according to Barnes) and is accurate. Based on what I read, the 168 monolithic ought to give equal or better on game performance to a lead core 180, so it ought to be heavy enough for elk as well as open easily on deer..

What are your thoughts on this barrel swap?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel decisions

The boring answer is it sounds like you've got what you need! You aren't stretching the range so the extra FPS from a longer barrel is nice, but not necessary. Accuracy is good enough for what you are expecting to do. A tweak here or there in loads or bedding might give more consistently the 3/4" groups the rifle is giving you at times. You don't mention your scope, it might be a time to upgrade there. I don't know Savage's, but maybe a replacement stock could save some weight. My 06's wear 22" barrels for the reasons you mentioned.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Bronze Member

I agree with Harperc, it doesn't sound like you need a longer or heavier barrel if you won't be shooting past 400 yards. The money for a new barrel might be better spent on a new stock, a better trigger, or maybe upgrading your scope.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

I'm kinda with the last two posts on practicality for 400 & less, but ill buck that horse.

IMO you'll gain quite a bit of speed, & have a bit less recoil, & be able to take advantage of slower burning powders with a longer pipe. This would enable you to shoot 180's about as fast or faster than your currently flinging the 165's. You'd have more down range energy, & higher BC bullet for bucking the wind if you choose to go that route.
The way I understand it, Most barrel makers don't like to (but some will) flute anything smaller than a #4 taper.
At 26" I wouldn't recomend anything smaller than a #3 taper, & a fluted #4 is so close in weight, id just go that route anyway.
In fact, I DID go that route. I just had my smith order a 26" fluted Hart with a 10 twist for my 300WSM build, based off of a long action Winchester that started life as an -06, with a dog turd slow 22" pipe. There just wasn't enough barrel length to do any good. I wanted more energy, & less drop. Anything longer than a 26" pipe on an -06 is going to give you diminishing returns, because there isn't enough case capacity to make em shine, but anything less than 24", like a 22" for example, & your just hosin yourself out of almost a couple hundred feet per second (22" vs 26") depending on powder & bullet used. Why screw yourself?
Look at Hart Barrels website. If your really into bad @$$ fluting they have some unbelievable fluting patterns! You do pay extra for the fancy stuff, but the standard 6 strait flutes is cheap.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

OK, thanks. I wasn't trying to save weight, at least not over the current weight, that was why the fluting, other than the cool looking part. I mentioned cutting weight on a fluted barrel, cause I didn't want to end up with a 12lb rifle. In fact I had wondered about a laminated stock. I know that's a little heavier, but very durable.

The scope is a Leupold VXII 2x7, and I had an issue with that at the range, so it may end up going back to the factory.

The stock definitely needs something done, probably replaced.

Thanks for the honest answers.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=winmag;628844]I'm kinda with the last two posts on practicality for 400 & less, but ill buck that horse.
I kinda sorta agree with me too! LOL. It's how I end up with another rifle safe-when practicality enters a firearm choice, now where's the fun in that. I fall for that "mission creep" on a regular basis, the 30-06 turns into WSM, that begets a RUM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=HARPERC;628901]
Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I'm kinda with the last two posts on practicality for 400 & less, but ill buck that horse.
I kinda sorta agree with me too! LOL. It's how I end up with another rifle safe-when practicality enters a firearm choice, now where's the fun in that. I fall for that "mission creep" on a regular basis, the 30-06 turns into WSM, that begets a RUM.
You know it bud!
We must be cut from the same cloth.

As to the barrel tho, your dead nutts right. No need for 400 on in...but just cause you don't "need" more horsepower, doesn't mean you wouldn't put it to good use if you had it, especially when Elk are on the menus. Barrel length IMO, is free horsepower. Your simply making the most of what you have without having to hotrod your loads, & sacrifice brass life to attain higher velocity...... Then there's me, who'd hotrod the loads anyway, plus have the longer barrel, & be knocking on the door of 300Win velocities I can buy more brass

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"