Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Barrel Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 10:21 AM

Re: Barrel Cooling

I made up a rig that I would place into the chamber and run cool watre down the barrel to cool it , it works reay well and I still use it every once and a while if I only have one gun to work with.

I have a couple around someplace that you guys are free to try if you wanted.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

JD--I made one too--a little plastic funnel and a piece of hose that canjam into the shoulder area in the chamber--instant cool with less than a quart of water. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

JB
Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Gold Member

I found some adhesive plastic temperature strips which change color as the temperature rises. They read out in degees.

They don't cost much.

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Writers Guild

Here are my stock shapes that help with cooling and REALLY free float the barrel.

The main reason is that the space allows me to wrap the barrels with wet cloths. In the summer, our temps get up there and if I let it air cool, it would take about an hour. By wrapping with cold wet cloths, it only takes a few minutes even with these heavy barrels. The cooling is also even around the barrel.

Even if there is a "big" space, the stock is still an excellent insulator. I didn't like the idea of one half of the barrel "insulated". Maybe cause uneven barrel heating and more walking during the next string.

I put ice and water in a cooler and throw the clothes in that. Keeps the drinks cold too.

As to the guy thinking that the chamber is much cooler then the surface, I don't buy it. Yes, there will be a temp gradient across the steel but the difference when the outside gets hot, is minimal. The big differences would only occur if a coolant was running down the bore.

Remember the hot poker in the fire. The end you hold gets pretty hot. Steel transfers heat along its surface very evenly. Wood doesn't, but we don't use wood barrels.

Jerry
Old 03-16-2004, 11:44 AM

I don't shoot very big calibers but i do know is that i would let it cool down after shooting a clip. that is what i found that works best. if you start to shoot 2 or 3 clips you might burn your barrel out.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

Temperature strips sold by Omega - $12 for 10 of them, part number: RLC-50-30/60-10 go from 30 to 60 degrees C or from 86 to 140 degrees F.

Omega URL:

Omega Temperature Strips

Pictures of the strips:

Here is a picture of my 7MM RUM with the temperature strip stuck to the barrel right in front of the receiver:

Works great in the summer when it is hot and the barrel takes a while to cool.

This way you can tell for sure if the barrel is the same temperature for each shot.

[ 03-16-2004: Message edited by: dwm ]
Old 03-17-2004, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

dwm--im interested in the temp strips--email me please.

JB