Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Barrel break-in ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Bronze Member

Barrel break-in ?

Hello all, My dad purchased a weatherby 300 mag a few weeks ago and is just about ready to shoot it for the first time.

He was watching the outdoor channel and they were talking about breaking in your new gun barrels.

I have read about this in all the hunting magazines,but I usually go out shoot a few rounds then clean to remove any copper deposits.then shoot again.

To be honest I never really thought about calling it breaking in time.He showed a lot of enterest so thought I would ask all you experts out there!!

I do know that after a while the gun does seem to settle in and groups get tighter and so on. However the show he was watching gave an actual recipe.(shoot 1 clean,shoot twice clean)He maid it sound like they did this for approx. 200 rnds.

Do you folks think this is any better than what I am doing now?(shoot 3-5 then clean)

Thanks for the advice!

Rob
Old 02-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barrel break-in ?

Oregonhunter,

Email me please!

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

I've never heard of anyone taking the shoot and clean (every shot) past 20 rounds. Seldom past 5 or 10. Then usually they step up to 5 shot groups for say 4 or 5 groups. Then increase to the maximum rounds between cleaning by watching how difficult it is to clean and changing accordingly. My breakins usually last about 200 rounds or so but most of that is in 10 or 20 shot groups. My newest gun I'm shooting 30 between cleanings and it's got about 350 rounds through it. That number will go back to 15-20 when it's shot in matches. I don't get real anal about cleaning. I ususally just watch the barrel condition and try to get it where it doesn't get fouled bad.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

I do think that factory barrels tend to like being broken in more than say a Kreiger, Shilen, Lilja, etc. Customs that are lapped don't really need as much care as factory barrels (I don't think anyhow).
Old 02-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Bronze Member

Hey folks thanks for all your help!!

I dont feel too bright never having done this with any of my guns before. But my dad was so interested in this I thought I should look into it!

I also have a new gun that I was hoping to shoot soon so it looks like we will both be doing a lot of barrel cleaning!!!

This is my dads first ever new gun (he has always bought older ones up to this point so barrel break in was never an issue before)
And I have really never thought to do it with any of mine.

One more question, does it help the groups out more than anything?
THX Again!

Rob
Old 02-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Gold Member

Try running some 000 steel wool through your bore before ever firing a round (about 100 times). I have found this will cut down on shoot in rounds and will polish bore to great finish you will be happy with results.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the help!!!

Rob [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]