Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

ballistic software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2003, 10:27 PM

ballistic software

I have been looking at a couple programs one is Quickload, the other is RSI shooting lab. I am mainly focusing on LR hunting with a couple BR matches here and there. Any recommendations?

btw, First post but I have been reading for a long time. I love this board
Old 10-25-2003, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ballistic software

I think you're gonna find that most guys here like Gerald Perry's Exbal ballistics program for predicting long-range ballistics/zero reference info. for hunting use. I have it and i've never seen anything like it elsewhere. See [URL=http://www.perry-systems.com]www.perry-systems.com. Do a search here-- it'll be very enlightening.

[ 10-26-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]
Old 10-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

300 shooter,

Welcome aboard. I like Exbal on the Palm device, for a desktop program the RSI SL is the best one by far. I use RSI SL more than Exbal at home now, even though Exbal has some features in it's ballistic reticle analysis segment I really like to play around with sometimes. I would recommend Exbal on the PDA and RSI on the desktop FWIW. Bypass Quickload and get PressureTrace and KNOW what pressures your getting in your rifle. There's a good article in Varmint Hunter Magazine OCT issue on PressureTrace by Denton Bramwell and another one to follow I believe. One phone call to Jim Ristow at RSI and you'll get the scoop on all this, make the call, you'll be glad you did. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/calculations.html
Old 10-26-2003, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

I like the "Oehler" ballistic program the best.

You can run three different bullets against each other out to 2500 yds or meters on a graph. That feature is real nice when trying for the BEST longrange combination to use for the application you want.
It shows what all three bullets are doing at the same time.
A great feature.

It seems to be the closest of any program I have ever used.
Of course, what else would anyone expect from a company who does the Government work on ballistics and chronagraphing of military cannon and rifles?

Later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 09:55 AM
PUBLISHER

On this issue I am a Darryl Dittohead.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 10-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

300 shooter,

I have the Oehler Ballistic Explorer program as well, and it's pretty nice too. The RSI SL beats it hands down though... The Shooting Lab will compare 6 combinations at a time if that's what you're after with it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Oehler uses the same 100+yr old formula to calculate their trajectory, just like all the other ballistic software programs do.

I recently found a problem with the Oehler BEX program and never did locate the cause, the only reason I spotted it was because I was running an identical load with all the same perameters in it at the same time, but trajectories were different by about 5" at 1000 yards for some reason. I've never trusted the software since, although I've tested it several times and have never had it do it to me again. Maybe the new version corrected this problem. Had I known how to print screens back then, I would have sent Dexadine the screen dumps from the test that did this so they could have looked into it.

You'll not find better ballistic modeling software out there than RSI SL, not to mention everything else it does in addition to that, I'm sure you've seen it tho.

Dexadine wrote the BEX program for Oehler many years ago, as well as the one for the Oehler Model 43 PBL, and both leave a lot to be desired by todays standards and advancements. There's been one upgrade in those years that I know of, and I don't see anything new in it either, compare that to RSI SL's continuous advancements and upgrades, all with a guy to back it up that knows his $hit too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Good luck which ever way you go.