Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bad annealing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Bad annealing?

I was going through my shooting log and noticed something perplexing. It seems that after I anneal my brass my bullet run-out, and group sizes seem to increase. Now I know that if my bullet run-out increases, my groups will open up some, but the groups almost double do to fliers. The flier count quadruples. What I do to anneal my brass is to chuck the brass in a drill and spin it in the torch for about 5-6 seconds. I am thinking now that this is to long and I am making the brass to soft. After 3-4 reloads the run-out drops again and the groups go back to normal with very few fliers. What do you guys think, am I onto something here?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Gold Member

Re: Bad annealing?

how hot is your brass getting ?
how far down does the "heat" go on the case ?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

I wondered about the type of process you are using. I feel that if your goal is to have all of the neck tension the same all of the brass needs to be heated evenly to the same temp by a controlled method. I use the Bench Source annealer and set the dwell time so the brass exits the torches at 650* F. A good friend turmed me on to using a temp lazer gun to shoot the brass as soon as it exits. Works very well and I have not had any issues. I anneal every reloading or at most every 2 firings.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

Let me describe my annealing a little better. What I do is put the brass in a deep socket that comes just below the shoulder. The brass is spun at pretty high speed to try and get an even heat. I learned this technique from the internet. On the net this person was annealing in a dimly lit room, and he heated the brass just before it (for lack of a better word) flamed. The first time I annealed my own brass I did it in the dark, and found that it took 5-6 seconds to get to that point with my torch. From that point on I just timed each piece with the lights on, and been doing this ever since. I really don't know how hot this brass is getting.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

i use a baking tray, stand the brass up in it and then fill it with water to the level that i want to stop the heat going past the neck and shoulder. then take a torch and heat each one until its got the faintest glow. tip it over and move on.
i havent noticed groups opening up after it. but maybe i just havent been paying attention.
Try it and if it has the same effect then we both have issues.

the other thing ive tried is holding them in my hand. that way they defiantly dont get to hot.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

I definitely think I have an annealing issue. The same thing is happening with my other rifle.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

try the method i said. then i can learn too