Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Backcountry hunting blinds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Bronze Member

Backcountry hunting blinds

I'm a lifelong bird hunter who just moved to the NorthWest and have started hunting big game, or rather started learning to. Just wanted to know if any of you guys have a recommendation for a packable ground blind I can use while hunting in the backcountry of Idaho and Montana for Elk and Deer.

I've been doing a lot of hiking and glassing so far this year, and I feel I'd be much more effective with some concealment. I don't mind carrying some weight, but ease of set up is important to me, since I like to cover quite a bit of ground.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Backcountry hunting blinds

Most of the time you will be able to find something like a fallen tree or a pile of tree branches that you could hide behind (talk about easy setup).
I have never personally used a ground blind while big game hunting, but what I do is not to make any sudden or swift movements. I have taken plenty of deer at close range (less than 100 yards) that were looking at me - simply because I moved slowly while shouldering my rifle. Heck, I bought a 300 Win Mag many years ago so I could reach out and touch something - only to kill all but 1 deer at 75 yards or less.

Sounds like you have a good start by hiking and glassing. If you can figure out where the animals are going, you can get there ahead of them and surprise them - a ground blind may not be needed.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

...check out www.cabelas.com
Old 10-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

I don't mess with ground blinds, even when bowhunting. I have always done fine using terrain features or vegetation to break up my outline. Mostly watch the wind, and move like a cat when still hunting - slow and silent. That said, I have considered carrying a piece of camo netting and a bit of parachute cord while archery hunting to make a quick blind.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Camo head to toe, especially the face and hands. Nothing shiney, watch the wind, and move like a cat. I suggest no smoking or chewing either for multiple reasons. You will not need any ground blind. I've been close enough to have me and my client pee'd on by a bull elk. I have never hunted from a blind other than ducks or geese and see no reason to carry one into the backcountry. I am not putting down blind hunters as they can be the ticket for certain instances like the noisy northeast when the fallen leaves are knee deep.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys, great information. How do you guys avoid making excessive noise when moving through dry pine needles and slash early in the season?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Bronze Member

I wear boots by a company called Oliver (i think) but thay arn't available in the US (im fron Australia) they are very sturdy, but have a very soft sole on them which helps to minimise noise.
I also try to avoid clothes made from canvas and other stiff noisy material.