Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Back up and punt.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: Back up and punt.

Another gun I would try is the savage long range hunter if you like the blue and the accu stock/trigger. I have a savage stevens and with handloads I'm getting about .5 to .7 inch groups. Gun was broke in and I bought it used. Cheap...I prefer the 7mm so I'm going to change out the barrel to a standard 7RemMag. But the 300 is also good I just also have a 300RUM. Wanted something different. I also have a 6.5x284 in the 116 accu stock/trigger. It shoots .5 inches handloads. I seen the 116 in a 300WM as well. I would expect with handloads and some shooting they would do the same. I have zeiss scopes on them. But when I was testing my loads I was using a tasco and it was doing the job for sight in and load development. I know a lot of people don't like the look of savage but all the ones I have shot are shooters. My bro has a 22-250 and it shoots 1/4moa/100yrds with handloads. Not quite sure what the model is on that one but its blue and its a beater rifle the way he take care of it. I have to get on to him to get him to clean it every now and again. hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: Back up and punt.

I'm sure not one to give advice for sure. Just tell you what i've beat around with the last couple years. I picked up one of the cheap 700 adl's in 7RM. I get devcon on the cheap so instead of going ahead and getting a new stock i dug it out, reinforced the front, filled it full of devcon along with pillow bedding the action, painted the stock with some web paint. Started reloading and shooting. Using a borrowed Leupy 6.5X20. Blame thing shoots around .4 most of the time @ 100. Killed a lope in 2010 at 357 yds with a head shot.
Now i've picked up a 300 WM in an old sendero. Still working on it but still not to where that old cheap 7 RM is and I'm at about 1700 in it now. Go figure?