Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Back up and punt.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Back up and punt.

I recently posted a thread entitled "A rifle I already own." Well....turns out because of a divorce I find out yesterday I no longer own that rifle. Wont bore you w/details but i guess will have to take new direction.

I read on this forum where a gentleman was hypothetically putting together a low cost shooter whereby he bought a stevens rifle, replaced the trigger, barrel and stock and still had a reasonably small amount of money invested.

That sounds very interesting. I have read in this forum the Savage/Stevens platform is one of the most readily modifiable.

My question would be, lets say i can buy a Savage model XXX with a medium heavy contour barrel w/accutrigger and accustock for hypothetically $800.

And on the other hand I could buy the Stevens, float the barrel and bed the stock, replace the trigger and start shooting. a bit later on maybe replace the barrel and then later the stock. Maybe the same or a little more invested.

Which rifle would be the best in the end??? Or would they be basically equall?

And another question rumbling around in my head. My other rifle was a 300 win mag. i like the 30 cal. Since I'm startin from scratch am wondering about the merits of kickin it up a notch by goin 300 weatherby or 300 rum. Yep! They kick more. Dunno if it was was the stock or what but my vanguard in 300 win mag shooting factory hornady 180's kicked less than my winchester model 70 in .270. The 300 was a healthy shove against the shoulder whilst the the 270 was a sharp punch to the shoulder.

Thanks for any thoughts
Old 04-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Back up and punt.

shootin at target , rabbits, moose?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

It all depends on what you want to do. I have a 300wm built off a savage target action and it is awesome. A 300wm with 208 amax is all you need for everything out to 1000 yards or so. A stock savage weather warrior or something similar will do wonders if you reload for it. It is always cool to build something yourself. I think either will work fine for you, unless you are looking for a 1/4 MOA rifle or trying to do something crazy with it.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass7858 View Post
I recently posted a thread entitled "A rifle I already own." Well....turns out because of a divorce I find out yesterday I no longer own that rifle. Wont bore you w/details but i guess will have to take new direction.

I read on this forum where a gentleman was hypothetically putting together a low cost shooter whereby he bought a stevens rifle, replaced the trigger, barrel and stock and still had a reasonably small amount of money invested.

That sounds very interesting. I have read in this forum the Savage/Stevens platform is one of the most readily modifiable.

My question would be, lets say i can buy a Savage model XXX with a medium heavy contour barrel w/accutrigger and accustock for hypothetically $800.

And on the other hand I could buy the Stevens, float the barrel and bed the stock, replace the trigger and start shooting. a bit later on maybe replace the barrel and then later the stock. Maybe the same or a little more invested.

Which rifle would be the best in the end??? Or would they be basically equall?

And another question rumbling around in my head. My other rifle was a 300 win mag. i like the 30 cal. Since I'm startin from scratch am wondering about the merits of kickin it up a notch by goin 300 weatherby or 300 rum. Yep! They kick more. Dunno if it was was the stock or what but my vanguard in 300 win mag shooting factory hornady 180's kicked less than my winchester model 70 in .270. The 300 was a healthy shove against the shoulder whilst the the 270 was a sharp punch to the shoulder.

Thanks for any thoughts
are you talking about a savage 300 wm or a savage 308??
Old 04-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

See if you can find any of the Savage FV models. They are very accurate right out of the box. Another to consider is the Mod 12's or 10's. See if you can find a used one with a good barrel. You'll be good to go.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Bronze Member

One of the Southern regional big box stores has Rem 700 ADL in 7MM for less than $400. The other big box stores have rem 700 SPS in 300 rum for around 550.00. with cheap scope. Chunk the tupperware stock, get a a BC medalist (alum bed block) for around $200, tub of devcon for 40 and you have a great shooting gun for under 800. If you don't mind looking on forums, $200 will get you a remington H&S precision sendero takeoff instead of the BC medalist.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Gold Member

it would be a reasonable way to go. and you might just be able to build
your own if that has any appeal. check out the savage shooters forum.