Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

AR style vs bolt action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Bronze Member

AR style vs bolt action

Morning all. Just what are the the pros and cons of an AR rifle(thinking of DPMS LR.338 eg) vs a bolt action in the same calibre for bigger game hunting over distance? How reliable are AR type rifles in sat extreme cold etc. Dont mean to start a debate between the different factions. Just interested. Thanks and have a good day.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:04 AM
Bronze Member

Re: AR style vs bolt action

And how much longer do you think AR type rifles will be legal?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho View Post
And how much longer do you think AR type rifles will be legal?
Exactly! So get em' while you can!

Personally, I would save a big caliber like that for a bolt-gun and top out the maximum caliber in a semi-auto to a .308 Win. But if you keep your AR in good condition, it can do just as well, if not better than some bolt rifles out there in tough conditions. Just take it from this guy:
Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

I had an AR-10T for a while and it was a fun gun to play with but the accuracy was certainly not worth the money and i would call it alot of things but reliable would not be one. It would run pretty well but as it got a little dirty it would start to hang up.

The biggest round I would suggest out of a AR-10 platform would be a 308 cased caliber but I know that their are a few companies making the short mags with them , I just don't feel that comfortable with their desgine to handel that big of a round.

I have several AR-15's that ahve been built to be ultra reliable but the cost was pretty high due to their gas piston desgine and other mods ,I have had the chance to play with the HK 417 and its a realy nice and seemed to be pretty reliable when shot dirty but those things cost ALOT
Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

deleted
Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM

Here is my 2 cents. I have a DPMS .300 SAUM and love it, which is why it has about 1500-2000 rnds through it. It is my primary hunting rifle. Here is why:

I am sure the .308 models can do it too, but not with a 208 grain bullet.

Some days are good, some are not. Today the wind was near zero, very pleasent and rare.
Cold bore five shot group, 100 yards, MV ~2600 (Aaron, I need my chrono back), Hornady 208 A-Max, 57 grains of 4350, CCI Benchrest Primer. Through the spotting scope and with light shining through the holes, it looked like the 5 side of a die (as in dice) with a very even dispersion. I was very happy. This is what I look for; holes that don't walk.
After firing this string I turned to the 1000 yard gong, calculated 8.7 mil of hold-over and drilled it on the first shot. Fired a second and another hit. Amazing considering I was guessing on the velocity.

The last cartridge I had to hang on to because this was a batch of reloads I put together in a hurry for plinking a couple weeks ago and didn't bother to record what they were.

BTW, I have found that Berger VLDs fly like bricks when compared to the A-Max, besides the fact that the A-Max also seem to handle the jump into riflings much better.

BTW, those are 1" squares on the target, and I was using them upside down.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 AM
500grains

I love the AR platform and I have gotten some really good groups with ARs. But I have never been able to put 5 shots touching out of an AR. Perhaps it is me or my equipment, because some guys can (see nice target above!). But I have bolt guns that will put 5 shots touching. For the most extreme ranges it seems logical for me to use a bolt gun. Just one guy's 2 cents.