Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Any tips and thoughts for a long range rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Any tips and thoughts for a long range rifle?

1918 yards shoting Yes i said 1918 yards

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 04-02-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar440 View Post
just a few questions might help people with advice do you reload and are you open to wildcat cartridges and is your budget just the rifle or include the scope probably going to need a big magnum 300or 338 rum or wm to hunt at 900 yards
Yeaahh 300 or 338 thats what i thought about yesterday as after posting and my budget includes the rifle and scope and the remainder of the budegt will be used on bipods etc.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:56 AM

hanks for the replies guys

Ive read all the replies and i can see the sense in using either 300 or 338 and it would seem that is the easiest option as Berger is virtually unknown in scandinavia but 300 and 338 are very common.
the budget im doing is around 1000 to 1500$ for the rifle and around $1000 for the scope so my budget is starting at around 2500 but it can be stretched to $3000 and no i dont reload

So ive had a look at the remington sendero and the xcr tactical long range any other suggestions for a rifle? and what of the bushnell and the huskemaw scopes?

Last edited by Pepperboy; 04-02-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Alot of folks here have a Sendero and seem very pleased with it.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

I am newer to the more extreme long range shooting. i have shot Antelope and stuff past 500yrds but I am looking to stretch out to 1000+. like you I am asking questions and trying to learn and doing some upgrades to my shooting set-up.

I hate to say it since they are a site sponsor, but I was not impressed with the Huskemaw scopes. Great idea and philosophy but the glass sucked in every one I have looked through. Being from Europe, you have extremely better options over there for the same money. I dont feel you get your money worth with their scopes. Probably made some of the guys upset with this, but I am just being honest about my opinion.

Also, go magnum and dont look back. Too much is better than to start with not enough and its alot cheaper than to do it twice.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

I would call up Kevin Rayhill at stockade stocks andhave him put together a custom Savage in whatever caliber for right around 1500. Then you have an awesome gun you know will shoot like a house on fire.

Also wait for the new Vortex Viper pst scopes or look at the Sightron sIII line of scopes.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:39 AM

Once again thanks for the input the more help the better the choice i make.

Yeahhh i totally agree that alot of the people on this site are very pleased with the sendero, but not everybody has the same opinion and ive seen loads of good reviews for that rifle but the xcr has several things which are appealling to me the 40x trigger free floating barrel with trinite encoding and the stock.

Ive been summing up these helpful tips and I am certainly going in the magnum direction, not all targets are going to be at extreme distance but i would rather take a 800 yard shot with confidence in a hard hitting round which will drop the target quickly.

And for a custom rifle i will look into that for sure, and for the huskemaw i kinda sensed the glass would be bad but its the simplicity of the thing which makes it what it is. I will check out all of the suggested optics manufacturers asap.

Thanks - Jay