Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

any special tricks to handloading Belted Mags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member
Re: any special tricks to handloading Belted Mags?

Here is a great location for that info

Unread 08-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

I'm a big fan of the 7mm Rem mag. If I were limited to only ONE centerfire rifle for everything from prairie dogs to elk, it would be chambered for the 7 mag. That said I don't currently own one! I have, however loaded for 3 different belted magnum rifles over the past 10 years or so, with great success. What has worked for me is to routinely neck size using a neck die, not a FL, and I use the FL die to set the shoulder back no more than necessary to just "feel" the case when the bolt closes, usually .001-.002, when the case gets difficult to chamber. I use a Stoney Point comparator to accurately guage my resizing. I also use a set of Redding Competetion shell holders to adjust resizing rather than backing my dies off. The use of the shell holders allows me to square the die body with the shellholder, as per the die instructions, during initial set-up, and then maintain that condition while adjusting case length for optimum head-space. As mentioned by Aussie, partial sizing in a FL die has, for me, created a condition of excessive shoulder length. I usually get a half dozen or so reloads out of a case before tossing it by using this procedure. I also generally use the most accurate load I can find, which is usually not the max load. The exception to this is a .300 Jarrett I use for elk. It shoots well using max loads. I still get that half dozen reloads, but shoulder length is critical. If I FL resize more often than necessary, or more than the .001 or so for smooth bolt operation, I start getting thin case walls just above the belt. That's my $.02. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 08-31-2004, 07:22 AM
Bronze Member

I have reloaded for the .300 win mag belted case for years.
I set the sizing die to where it is almost touching the cartridge holder on the down stroke, all I want to do is adjust the neck.
After 2-4 uses the case will start getting too tight to chamber easily then I full length resize for a couple more uses then toss the brass. Never had a case separation.
Unread 09-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Fellow Shooters,

Take a look at the homepage on our website It's the most complete information available on reloading belted magnum calibers. There is also a Question and Answer section and a Testimonials section (along with lots of reloading tech tips.)

Good shooting,