Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Any long range schools near Salt Lake City, Utah???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Bronze Member

Any long range schools near Salt Lake City, Utah???

I am very interested in learning more about long range shooting (700+yds). I am curious if anyone knows of any classes or training or maybe even someone that shoots long range that wouldn't mind helping me get started? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Any long range schools near Salt Lake City, Utah???

1-800-574-3168
www.thompsonlongrange.com

They are in Utah. Where I dont know. I dont know if they are worth the $$ either. I just know they exist.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Goodgrouper

This school is run by a member of this forum who is also a hunter. You can run search on him and find some of his hunts.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you Buffalobob. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, we offer long range classes and a variety of other things ranging from barrel break-ins, pillar/glass bedding and inletting, trigger jobs, consultations on equipment, live fire shooting sessions/ballistic chart verifications, ballistic coefficient testing, and the main thing that sets us apart from the other guys: We do custom tailored load development to the individual rifle. We take your existing rifle and turn it into a 1000 yard hunting machine by fully match prepping 100 cases using all the benchrest techniques to attain perfect brass with wich to use for custom loading. Case heads are squared, flash holes deburred, pockets uniformed, necks are turned and trimmed, and mouths are vld chamfered, and then they are segregated by volume. THen every load is checked over an OEhler 35 chronograph during load development using as many powders/bullets/primers/seating depths combinations needed to attain ammunition that is worthy of competitive long range match shooting.

Our clients that sign up for the classes or for the load development/gun work walk away with the ability to hit 1000+ yard game sized targets at will with their own rifle on demand.

If work needs to be done to the rifle to get it into the realm of adequate accuracy, we have connections to numerous top-notch gunsmiths who can re-chamber barrels, install new barrels, true up actions, and install muzzle breaks. Or full out build a custom rifle from the ground up. The accuracy attained in this sort of rifle will most likely be adequate for hunting past 1000 yards given the shooter has put his time in on the range practicing.

If advice is needed on other parts of the shooting gear, our consultations provide all the information needed to make proper decisions based on the individual's needs but the final decision is left to the client. We have access to vast ranges of all shooting equipment and you can actually use it before deciding on any one route.

Our closest competitor is mentioned in a post above and although I will not bad-mouth his class, I can tell you honestly that all he does is hand the client a .30-.378 with a drop compensating reticle and lets you hit a 52" diamond target at various ranges up to 1000 yards. At the end of the class, he will offer you a chance to buy an identical rifle but the ammo will be factory ammo and not tailored to YOUR gun.

Our philosophy is the client should be able to use his existing rifle along with some modifications and hand tuned ammo to hunt by himself and have the ability to dial his scope in MOA and humanely kill animals at distances previously unattainable. If that rifle happens to be a .30-378, then so be it. But there are many other calibers that don't blow a pound of powder down your barrel with each shot that can and do cleanly harvest elk and deer out to 1000 yards and chances are, you already have one in your gun safe!

If this sounds like something you're interested in, you can email me at kbawden_2005@yahoo.com or call the number in the link to porcupineadventures.com

Thanks.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 12-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Sorry GG!!!,

Didnt know you were competetors! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Like I said, I dont know anything about them, other than that they exist.

Sounds like you have a pretty outstanding setup there. I will keep that in mind for similar posts in the future.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry GG!!!,

Didnt know you were competetors!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sweat it. I'm glad you mentioned it. We are competitors in trade only, not in quality. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it