Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Another Newbie needs help finding a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 09:52 AM

Another Newbie needs help finding a rifle

I am new to the site but have been looking through the previous posts and have obtained a lot of info but I'm still caught up in the decision of what caliber and brand of rifle I should buy. I am only 17 about 180 lbs and am new to long range shooting all together. I want the rifle to be as acurate as possible out to a little over 1000 yds and a flat shooting caliber because I will be juging yardage. I want it to be light enough to drag all over the mountains and yet on the same token I don't want it to kick me too hard (i'm thinking around 10-11 pounds because i would put up with the extra weight before the extra recoil) because of my nature to develop a flinch. I am an avid reloader and that isn't an issue. However another issue is that when everything is said and done I don't want it be anymore than $1500. That is with scope and all. Suggestions on the scope would be helpful as well. Oh and my brother is good with gunsmithing and he can do the barrel work for cheap. Basically I am asking what are the features that build a long range accurate rifle?

Remember I don't want excess recoil! I was thinking maybe a 7mm rem mag since it has many differnt load options.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Another Newbie needs help finding a rifle

No buttons pushed--just want to make sure if you do this, do it right. That wasnt yelling, just emphasis--sorry.

I too have used a nikon and bushnell--none of them compare to the leica--my leica 800 stomped a bushy 1000 in my small side-by-side test!! they actually work past where they say--I ranged a treestump in a fence row at 972yds with my leica 800!! on an overcast day--sell the rangefinders you have on ebay and buy yourself a leica--you will not be dissapointed!

the 6.5-284 actually should be sufficient for the blacktails, but the 7mm's may be a little better.

Judging just isnt the way to go and expect to actually humanely dispatch big critters--that is the only point i was trying to get across--you owe it to them to laser the range to the best of your abilities--I dont think anyone here would disagree with me.

To 500yds with a flat shooting round you might be safe, but past that i wouldnt count on it.

Im thinking heavy barrel savage in 7mag or WSM [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

JB
Old 04-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

Littl' Flinches,

I don't think you pushed jb's buttons, he is just trying to keep you from making a bad choice. When a bullet is falling 40" in 100 yards you need to KNOW the range not just guess at it. From my experience with my Bushnell 1000 and my buddies Leica 1200 I would give his unit a slight edge. Seems from what I have read here my unit may perform better than the standard. Buy the Leica! If you can't get a reading get closer!

You are also going to need a quality scope. Look at the Leupolds, Bushnell 4200, and Nikons. I think you should chose one of these offerings with a top end between 10X and 20X. I use a 4.5-14 Leupold. You will also need either target turrets or some type of mil-dot type reticle. Guessing what a 140" over his back isn't going to cut it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Your choice of caliber is in the right ball park. I think a Remington Sendero in 7 mag or a similar caliber or a 7WSM Coyote by Winchester. Remington, Winchester, and Savage all have several combos that fit your situation. Go put your hands on a few till one tickles your fancy. Then have the trigger touched up and go to work.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the input I have heard a lot of bad things about the savages in the past but all the newer models seem to be performing excellent for everyone on this forum and I definitely like their prices!
I think that is what I am going to go with, a 7mm rem mag because then i can mooch ammo and reloading componets from my dad. Then I plan to top it off with either a 4-14 Leupold or a 6.5-20 Leupold with the target turrets.

I don't understand the finger ajustable 1/4 MOA leupold scopes that don't seem to have any more raised of a turret than the standard screw driver ajusting scopes? Are they just more compact? How do they work?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

they are the same height as the ones that you need a tool to turn--excep there is just enough knurled knob to get a hold of an spin by hand--im guessing you still have to get on top to see which direction you are turning though--kind of a PITA--with turrets you can see which way you are spinning from prone [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

JB
Old 04-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

In regards to your scope choices, I would suggest the 4x14 might be a better choice for big game only because of the wider field of view at the low end. For all the fun I have practicing at long range, it seem that almost every year my elk show up around 100 yards, and sometimes closer. I've never not had enough scope for the long shot, but I once had a client using a 6.5x20 that had to pass a shot because the elk was sooo close that all he could see was hair.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

first of all--judging distance while trying to humanely kill large game is a NO-NO--i dont care how good you think you can judge distance you arent good enough to consistantly come within 10yds all the way out to 1000--NO WAY IN HE!!

best bet would be to get whichever leica rangefinder you can afford (300-450$) -- your quarry deserves to be ranged accurately if you are gonna wing shots past 1/2 a mile at them.

aint nuttin out there flat enough to make up for bad judgement!!

for whitetail and below the 6.5-284 would probably be enough for 1k or a little more--for anything bigger, the 7mag or 7wsm would be a good choiuce with recoil in mind--make sure you muzzle brake it at 10-11 lbs!

FWIW,
JB