Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out


Reply

Angle Cosine Indicators still needed?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 24
Angle Cosine Indicators still needed?

Now that almost every rangefinder has angle compensation, are scope mounted indicators still needed? I'm going to order a level soon but not sure if I should spend the extra money and get an attached indicator as well. I have the vortex 1000 rangefinder but going to buy a leica 1600-B soon. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 171
Re: Angle Cosine Indicators still needed?

My Leica 1600 gives me the angle, but I don't even pay attention to it. I have never used angle indicators, don't see why I need to start now. Whenever I'm shooting at a steep angle uphill or downhill, I just aim a little lower.

But for those that do like the idea of angle compensation, I believe the rangefinder has eliminated the need for anything mounted on a scope. I haven't even needed one angle device in over 22 years of hunting, so I don't see the reason to have 2 devices ;)
__________________
Be confident and know your abilities.
Whether you think you can make the shot, or you think you canít, you are right.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 24
Re: Angle Cosine Indicators still needed?

Thanks, I figured there was no need for one attached to my scope. Figured I would see if anyone had any pros on having one along with a rangefinder.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NW MT
Posts: 2,587
Re: Angle Cosine Indicators still needed?

You will get varied answers on angle finder on rifle. I use one as do many. It is more important if you hunt steep country as I do. I have one of the best LRF but has no angle feature, dont care because I wanted ranging features. You find guys on here shooting long say in New Zeland and if they dont comp for angle it will be a miss. There have been many threads on hear about it , do search in up right corner specific to this site. Heres a example- 1000 yrd range on 45 degree. If you dont figure angle that is a 7.1 mil hold for my rifle.But with angle it is a 4.5 mil hold. That is a large diffirence, and if I held for 7.1 which is 2.6 mil + thats almost 10 inches which equates to 100 at 1000. I figure angle in alll my firing solutions
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 171
Re: Angle Cosine Indicators still needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
You will get varied answers on angle finder on rifle. I use one as do many. It is more important if you hunt steep country as I do. I have one of the best LRF but has no angle feature, dont care because I wanted ranging features. You find guys on here shooting long say in New Zeland and if they dont comp for angle it will be a miss. There have been many threads on hear about it , do search in up right corner specific to this site. Heres a example- 1000 yrd range on 45 degree. If you dont figure angle that is a 7.1 mil hold for my rifle.But with angle it is a 4.5 mil hold. That is a large diffirence, and if I held for 7.1 which is 2.6 mil + thats almost 10 inches which equates to 100 at 1000. I figure angle in alll my firing solutions
He is NOT asking if he needs to compensate for angle. Of course he does. And I'm sure he knows that or he would not be concerned with any of this.

He is simply asking if he needs a SECOND cosine indicator on his scope when he plans on buying the Leica 1600 which already has it incorporated into the programming. I say no.
__________________
Be confident and know your abilities.
Whether you think you can make the shot, or you think you canít, you are right.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 24
Re: Angle Cosine Indicators still needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillDog View Post
He is NOT asking if he needs to compensate for angle. Of course he does. And I'm sure he knows that or he would not be concerned with any of this.

He is simply asking if he needs a SECOND cosine indicator on his scope when he plans on buying the Leica 1600 which already has it incorporated into the programming. I say no.
This pretty much sums it up. I just wanted to see if there was really a reason for one attached to my rifle that I was over looking.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 171
Re: Angle Cosine Indicators still needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
This pretty much sums it up. I just wanted to see if there was really a reason for one attached to my rifle that I was over looking.

The one thing I would definitely recommend is attaching a good quality scope level. It is a necessity for consistent long range accuracy. The Leica 1600 won't give you that valuable piece of info ;)
__________________
Be confident and know your abilities.
Whether you think you can make the shot, or you think you canít, you are right.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC