Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

am i thinking too much of the .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: am i thinking too much of the .308

Hello guys
My brother-in-law has got a Remington 700 Sendaro in 308
all stainless steal and synthetic stock. He was asking me if i would reload some test loads for him so he did not have to use factory loads. i said yes. so he bought the dies. and he has bought 150 BT and some 168 Bt Noslers. I do a lot of reloading for myself so i have lots of different powders. does anybody have any recommendation. on powder and charges. I was reading some of the post with some very good velocities. and would assume good accuracy. ( coming from this form) but just one person actually listed the powder and charge.
any suggestion would be great.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

VH,

That is the beauty of N540. These loads are anything but hot. I am using cheap remmy brass and dont even get so much as loose primer pockets. Primers look perfect and extraction is like there isnt even a case in the chamber.

2810 with the 168's are mild. This is what the powder was made for. It is a double base powder made for super high velocity without running super high pressure. I dont know the science behind it but it works. The accuracy nodes are REALLY wide also. If you try some I think you would be amazed. 308 accuracy with 3006 and better velocity. My 168 load is running 5 shot groups in the low .3's at 100 yards and sub .5 MOA at 300.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
VH,

That is the beauty of N540. These loads are anything but hot. I am using cheap remmy brass and dont even get so much as loose primer pockets. Primers look perfect and extraction is like there isnt even a case in the chamber.

2810 with the 168's are mild. This is what the powder was made for. It is a double base powder made for super high velocity without running super high pressure. I dont know the science behind it but it works. The accuracy nodes are REALLY wide also. If you try some I think you would be amazed. 308 accuracy with 3006 and better velocity. My 168 load is running 5 shot groups in the low .3's at 100 yards and sub .5 MOA at 300.
I see that you have found these loads not to be too hot. I know it is not the same thing, but I think it was GG that said these high energy powders (VV) could be rough on barrel life, hot flame I believe. Have you seen any difference in barrel life?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomosendero View Post
I see that you have found these loads not to be too hot. I know it is not the same thing, but I think it was GG that said these high energy powders (VV) could be rough on barrel life, hot flame I believe. Have you seen any difference in barrel life?
Not sure yet, it is still fairly new. What I can say is that I have seen major barrel changes in as few as 65 rounds through HOT calibers and I have 500 down this 308 barrel and have yet to detect ANY changes even minor in velocity, pressure or accuracy. These loads may shorten the life some but with a traditional life excpecancy of 5000+ rounds, I can sacrifice some life. So far it has been MUCH more concistent than any of my 300 RUM barrels so reduced life or not, it is a good sign. My opinion is that 100 grain case is 100 grain case and a 50 grain case is a 50 grain case. A 50 grain case barrel will last many times longer than a 100 grain case period. Even when loaded to the max potential. Yes max potential may yield a shorter life than traditional loading but (IMHO) yield a much longer life than a 300 WSM or 300 WM. If youre loading a 308 so hot that the barrel life equals a 300 WSM or 300 WM you would never be able to open th bolt let alone shoot more down the pipe.

Time will tell. I have 500 rounds down with flawless results, more than I can say for the 300 mags I have toyed with. We shall see how many more she tolerates.

If there were abnormal heat and pressure I would suspect that the brass would give me some insight as to what is happening inside the barrel. If the loads arent hard on the brass, I dont see how they would be hard on the steel bore.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressman View Post
Hello guys
My brother-in-law has got a Remington 700 Sendaro in 308
all stainless steal and synthetic stock. He was asking me if i would reload some test loads for him so he did not have to use factory loads. i said yes. so he bought the dies. and he has bought 150 BT and some 168 Bt Noslers. I do a lot of reloading for myself so i have lots of different powders. does anybody have any recommendation. on powder and charges. I was reading some of the post with some very good velocities. and would assume good accuracy. ( coming from this form) but just one person actually listed the powder and charge.
any suggestion would be great.
I picked up a box of the newer 168gr B-tips. While loading other bullets I decided to throw 3 of the 168's into cases that were already charged with 44.0 gr of RE15. I arbitrarily loaded them .045" off the rifling. To my surprise, the 3 bullets landed in a perfect triangle that measured exactly .50" @ 200 yds. One of the best groups this sporter rifle ever shot.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
Not sure yet, it is still fairly new. What I can say is that I have seen major barrel changes in as few as 65 rounds through HOT calibers and I have 500 down this 308 barrel and have yet to detect ANY changes even minor in velocity, pressure or accuracy. These loads may shorten the life some but with a traditional life excpecancy of 5000+ rounds, I can sacrifice some life. So far it has been MUCH more concistent than any of my 300 RUM barrels so reduced life or not, it is a good sign. My opinion is that 100 grain case is 100 grain case and a 50 grain case is a 50 grain case. A 50 grain case barrel will last many times longer than a 100 grain case period. Even when loaded to the max potential. Yes max potential may yield a shorter life than traditional loading but (IMHO) yield a much longer life than a 300 WSM or 300 WM. If youre loading a 308 so hot that the barrel life equals a 300 WSM or 300 WM you would never be able to open th bolt let alone shoot more down the pipe.

Time will tell. I have 500 rounds down with flawless results, more than I can say for the 300 mags I have toyed with. We shall see how many more she tolerates.

If there were abnormal heat and pressure I would suspect that the brass would give me some insight as to what is happening inside the barrel. If the loads arent hard on the brass, I dont see how they would be hard on the steel bore.

Good to know & thanks for the info. I would think that if there was an unusually hot burn, it would show as cracks in the chamber area with a borescope.
Looks like it is worth trying to me, thanks!!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Bronze Member

I know that we all are talking about long range hunting of game in this discussion of the 308 Win. I know that the military thinks highly enough of this round to ownly chamber their standard sniper rifles(M-24) for it and train all of the sniper trainees to shoot to 1000meters. The thing that really comes into play also with long range accuracy is the distance the bullet becomes trans sonic (the speed in which the bullet falls below the speed of sound) at this distance and bullet speed the bullet will start to rapidly loose speed,start to drop like a rock and could possibly become unstable enough(yaw) the accuracy becomes inconsistent. The military states 800 meters as the effective range for sniping but the bullet can and does kill at 1000meters and a bit further out. I think that if the military is using it to huntenemy soldiers than it should be fine for the civilian world to hunt game animals with to within the range that the shoot feels is their max distance(right bullet and practice). Some of this information I am pulling from memory from reading the book precision shooting at 1000 yards.

Andrew