Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

am i thinking too much of the .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

am i thinking too much of the .308

i went into my local suply store and wanted to ask the owner what projectile he thought would be best for longer range hunting out of a .308. i had already decided on 165gr sst. so i put the question to him and got a look like i was a little crazy thinking of shooting animals at 500m. am i. i figured that if i limit the .308 to 500m then it should be ok for deer sized animals.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: am i thinking too much of the .308

the .308 should b good to a good deal further than 500m on deer.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:54 AM
Silver Member

Hi there Foreign,

I just purchased the very same projectiles for hunting.

I have not tried them on animals yet, but I'm very happy with how they perform at the range. If you get to try them hunting before me, please let us know how you went. Thanks.

Should be fine at 500mtr with .308, deer fairly thin skinned animal in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign View Post
i went into my local suply store and wanted to ask the owner what projectile he thought would be best for longer range hunting out of a .308. i had already decided on 165gr sst. so i put the question to him and got a look like i was a little crazy thinking of shooting animals at 500m. am i. i figured that if i limit the .308 to 500m then it should be ok for deer sized animals.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Silver Member

hey savage and centre that is what i thought. i recon that out to 800 would be just getting to the limits. not that i will be going that far yet. he told me that that was not responcible and cruel. i would agree if the shot was not on target. but i would think that the bullet at that distance would still go through one sholder and into the boiler room
Old 09-19-2008, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member

That my friend is the normal reaction of most people, especially hunters. They are pretty much just ignorant and have their beliefs. I don't tell strangers that I hunt animals or even shoot targets out to the ranges I do, which isn't as far as a lot of others on the site. And if you want to hear the truth I'm usually hesitant to believe it when other people tell me they do, not until I dig more info from them...because they are usually full of crap. If a guy tells me he shot a deer at 700yards I will ask him about his set up and load, then ask him how many MOA he corrected for drop and wind. The look on their face will usually give it away. The normal answer is usually-I just held a foot over his back. Dang dude, you must be sighted in at about 650 yards! That's like a cop asking how much have you had to drink tonight...A couple.

Last edited by Bravo 4; 09-19-2008 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

It is true that the 308 winny is more limited in its abilities versus some of the other more potent cartridges, however the 308 does just fine out to 600-700 yards for deer size critters provided the nut behind the trigger and the bullets used are of good quality.

Of all the bullets I have used out of the 308 on game at LR I have been most impressed by the Nosler ACCUBOND bullets. I have used the SMK's, AMAXS, SCENARS, and the ACCUBONDS. I have used many different weights as well. The critters that died the fastest and had the maximum blood loss were the ones shot with the ACCUBONDS.

By using the right bullets, you can muscle up the smallish 308 win. By practicing often you will become proficient with it to make clean kills to 6-700 yards. The nice part about the 308 is it is much cheaper to operate which allows shooters to really get to know their rifle and where the 308 lacks in horsepower, it makes up for it in accuracy. I have also found that in the field when you cant get a perfect position it is harder to get a super mag to recoil the same and thus impact the same as I do on the bench at home. The 308 is so much less finicky that it seems to hold the same zero regardless of my position. This to me is a huge benefit.

In short, no I dont think you are thinking too highly of the 308 so long as you stay within its and your limitations.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

cheers for the replies. yea michael i would like to use the accubonds but they are $60 for 50 where as the sst are $54 for 100. the student bugget decideds that for me pretty quickly.