Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

advice on which rifle to choose....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member
Re: advice on which rifle to choose....

Originally Posted by hittman86 View Post
sorry guys if i am posting in the wrong spot as this is my first post here. i am new to the long range world and am pondering which rifle/platform to go with. i have experience with the 700 and being left handed am kind of limited. my choices are the remington 700 sps varmint and having it put in a Whidden 140 stock or a savage left hand FLCP-K. i like the remington design but that is all i know the savage has the accutrigger and accustock so it is aluminum bedded from the factory. as far as glass a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 will reside on top. does anyone have any experience with either of these two setups? which ever i choose will primarily be a varmint/paper/steel shooter. 308 is the caliber i am going to go with.thanks in advance for any input
For the applications you are talking about you should really consider the Remington and take a hard look at the .260 over the 308. Much flatter trajectory and the 260's have been rocking the sniper competitions the last two years.
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.

Unread 06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

SouthPaws Unite!!! lol

I have three 700's and four Savages (2-110's & 2-12's), only 1 of the seven mentioned are still in "stock" configuration, all are capable of outstanding accuracy & top notch reliability.

I'm glad to see you've made your selection, that Savage will take care of you for a long time, plus, most 'smithin can be done by you at home. You might pick up a bolt lift kit right away, at less than $10 I think it's worth it. If there is any advice you take from this forum it's this....

Practice, practice, practice, practice
Unread 07-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

I have a Savage and the Viper 6.5-20. I also have it configured in .308. I currently have 58MOA left in the scope after zeroing at 100yds. It use to be a Savage Mod 12 VLP. It is now a full on custom. I put it together. As much as it pains me to say it. I would suggest getting a Savage model w/o the Accu-Stock. Save that money to get a quality aftermarket stock that will work better. I was a proponent to the Accu-Stock, but it seems a lot of people are having trouble tweaking and getting them to shoot well. Here's my set up in the Savage... sorry wrong hand for you, but still doable.

Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!