Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

advice on which rifle to choose....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: advice on which rifle to choose....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittman86 View Post
sorry guys if i am posting in the wrong spot as this is my first post here. i am new to the long range world and am pondering which rifle/platform to go with. i have experience with the 700 and being left handed am kind of limited. my choices are the remington 700 sps varmint and having it put in a Whidden 140 stock or a savage left hand FLCP-K. i like the remington design but that is all i know the savage has the accutrigger and accustock so it is aluminum bedded from the factory. as far as glass a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 will reside on top. does anyone have any experience with either of these two setups? which ever i choose will primarily be a varmint/paper/steel shooter. 308 is the caliber i am going to go with.thanks in advance for any input
For the applications you are talking about you should really consider the Remington and take a hard look at the .260 over the 308. Much flatter trajectory and the 260's have been rocking the sniper competitions the last two years.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

SouthPaws Unite!!! lol

I have three 700's and four Savages (2-110's & 2-12's), only 1 of the seven mentioned are still in "stock" configuration, all are capable of outstanding accuracy & top notch reliability.

I'm glad to see you've made your selection, that Savage will take care of you for a long time, plus, most 'smithin can be done by you at home. You might pick up a bolt lift kit right away, at less than $10 I think it's worth it. If there is any advice you take from this forum it's this....

Practice, practice, practice, practice
Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

I have a Savage and the Viper 6.5-20. I also have it configured in .308. I currently have 58MOA left in the scope after zeroing at 100yds. It use to be a Savage Mod 12 VLP. It is now a full on custom. I put it together. As much as it pains me to say it. I would suggest getting a Savage model w/o the Accu-Stock. Save that money to get a quality aftermarket stock that will work better. I was a proponent to the Accu-Stock, but it seems a lot of people are having trouble tweaking and getting them to shoot well. Here's my set up in the Savage... sorry wrong hand for you, but still doable.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!