Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Adding weight, balance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Adding weight, balance

after thinking about it, it is almost exactly the consistency of pudding. just to correct myself. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

No matter what you do you do not want the weight to move around under recoil. If you have a bearing supplier in the town, you can buy loose stainless steel ball bearings in small sizes and mix with your Marine-tex into a mould that mirrors the cavity you want the weight in. That way there is no chance that it will set up in a place that you can't get it out. The front sling stud is a good way to secure it in the forearm channel. You can cast an insert for the stud thread into your weight. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Bronze Member

I just got a Savage 10FP-LE2. The Stock is hollow, and I was planning on adding heavy lead shot to add a few pounds. I thought this would be a great way of cutting recoil! Can this cause accuracy problems.

Also, do you mix it with the epoxy? How does that aspect work? Ramses II
Old 03-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

Ramses II,

This was from my brothers gun when I loaded up the hollow butt stock with lead shot. The lead was not rolling around in the stock so that was not the problem. It seems as though the stock is flexing during recoil, and affecting the accuracy.

Not sure of the make of the stock on your particular model, but if it is the one used on the 12 FVSS I would do some testing before doing anything permanent.

Jim
Old 03-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Bronze Member

Good point Jim. My Savage has the same Synth stock as the 12FVSS. Savage is a great rifle, but let's face it, the synth stock is pretty flimsy. I wouldn't be surprised if it were flexing. Perhaps I will try lead shot w/ some insulation foam (so it ain't permanent). How do you install it on a non-permanent basis? thanks,
Ramses II
Old 03-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

Ramses II,

I removed the butt pad, and took out the foam "plug". I took a plastic bag and poured in a little shot and lowered it into the cavity. I poured in more shot to about a half inch from the surface. Tap side of stock to settle. I cut a piece of insulation type foam to put pressure on the shot when I reinstalled the butt pad. You are good to go and it is not permanent in any way.

In retrospect, I was lucky to have an accuracy base line on that rifle before I loaded the stock. The thought crossed my mind to load the stock right out of the box.

I am building a wood stock for it to correct the problem. If you test yours in a similar way, I would be interested in the outcome.

Jim
Old 04-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> Harv,
Don't know about rifles, but my ex wife was butt heavy and she caused a LOT of shooting problems.
Jim
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - I had the same problem but my x didn't have enuf weight in her butt [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

GEMPLER'S Best place I've found for industrial epoxies like Devcon 4-oz. Repair Putty or 1-lb. Plastic Steel Repair Kit