Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Adding weight, balance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 11:33 AM

Adding weight, balance

I am wanting to add some weight to my synthic stock (tikka). There is lots of empty space under the barrel and the butt is hollow. Can I just fill these spaces with led shot and epoxy or is there a better way? I can add a lot more weight in the butt and will change the balance of the rifle. Is there a general rule on where the gun should balance? Does a rifle that is butt heavy cause shooting problems?
Harv
Old 03-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Adding weight, balance

Harv,

Don't know about rifles, but my ex wife was butt heavy and she caused a LOT of shooting problems.

Jim
Old 03-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

Harv,
Ive used the lead shot and epoxy method before and it works well. What you might consider doing is covering the area where you are going to add weight with a thin layer of grease, or bedding release agent, add your weight and epoxy and let it cure. This gives you a chance to try the rifle with weight in place, if its too heavy or don't balance in the place you like it, you can easily remove it, cut some off and try again. Works well for the buttstock, and the forend. When you get it how you like it, clean grease, and put down a thin layer of epoxy and youre done.
I like most of my rifles to ballance at the front of the action, heavier rifles that will only see bag use, a little further forward.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Harv, If you want to add weight to your hollow butstock, the best thing I found is plumbers putty; cheap, no mess, no mixing, comes out easy if you need to change, dose not absorb water. I used this in a magnum muzzel loader, was able to ad about 2lbs. worked great. I had no shooting problems with this gun after adding weight. Better balanced felt it was muzzle heavy in the first place.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:36 PM

Thanks guys. I have lots of lead but where can I get lots of epoxy without buying 50 small $5 packs?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Bronze Member

I used Devcon 30 min. epoxy in the 9 oz. pack for about $15. Hobby shops sell these or you can check out where I mail ordered mine. This stuff only has a good working time of 10 minutes or so. Work fast or it will get thick on you. I hope this helps.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/adhesive.htm
Old 03-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

If you want an epoxy go to brownell's web site and order their "marine tex" the stuff is very thick and pasty kind of like mashed potatoes (but just a tad thinner) and will not run like the other epoxies that are avail and it will give you a working time of 20-30 min so that you can make it fit and look purdy. This is great stuff to work with.

Ben