Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Actions for LRH rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Actions for LRH rifle

Between 8 years in the service and 8 years as a Federal LE officer I have done a bit of shooting. That said this long range stuff is new to me and has my attention. I am not a gunsmith nor claim to be. My question is with all of the LR rifles I am seeing out there they are built on Rem. 700 or custom actions for the most part, Savage seems to be getting a little bit of play time but Winchester and Ruger are never mentioned. I had a Ruger Mark II in .338 win. mag. that was the best shooting rifle I ever owned (never should have got rid of that). So is there some flaw in the Win. and Rugers actions that make them not liked in this area of shooting? This may be a dumb question but...if I don't ask I won't know. Any feedback is welcome, thanks.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Actions for LRH rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopezLad View Post
Between 8 years in the service and 8 years as a Federal LE officer I have done a bit of shooting. That said this long range stuff is new to me and has my attention. I am not a gunsmith nor claim to be. My question is with all of the LR rifles I am seeing out there they are built on Rem. 700 or custom actions for the most part, Savage seems to be getting a little bit of play time but Winchester and Ruger are never mentioned. I had a Ruger Mark II in .338 win. mag. that was the best shooting rifle I ever owned (never should have got rid of that). So is there some flaw in the Win. and Rugers actions that make them not liked in this area of shooting? This may be a dumb question but...if I don't ask I won't know. Any feedback is welcome, thanks.
There is nothing wrong with the Winchester and the Ruger actions but there are likes and dislikes

The Ruger has the slanted recoil lug that can make them difficult to make them accurate and
unpredictable. There are some smiths that have figured them out and have good luck.

Some people don't like the fact that the Ruger actions are cast instead of forged.

Winchesters have had a lot of quality control problems and this has turned many against
them. (All factory rifles have this problem to some degree but some are consistantly worse.

The bottom line to the Remington and Savages popularity is the amount of after market parts
and there tendency to respond well to any kind of accurizing.

This is just my opinion
Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 PM

Thanks for your reply. That makes perfect sense to me. I have never paid close attention to those details.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

I'd say the 700 is the STANDARD by which all custom actions were designed. It is a nice round action and easy to work with. Savage is likely the second most popular. You'll find more Winchester fans for non-long range rigs on sites like accuratereloading.com. Personally I think they are OK. I have a Ruger with a Hart barrel on it and the only reason I did that is because it was my first lefty rifle and I've killed a lot of stuff with it. Still have it, still shoot it.

There is argument as to cost of buying a donor rifle Remington 700 just to turn around and use only the action and bottom metal, follower, spring to build a custom versus just buying a custom action from the get go.

I have decided that my 700 days are over. I'm not buying any more donor actions to be trued. I'm going custom actions from Stiller, Borden, BAT, and maybe Defiance. Haven't decided on the last one yet.

Rugers are what I call work-horse guns. They'll do the job of any rifle within 300 yards easy, and that's if they don't even shoot that well. But Ruger has always been a hit or miss. My very first rifle was a Ruger M77 RIGHT hand and I had it for 3 months before trading it on a Lefty MK II. That first one was literally a tack-driver with factory ammo. Most all the time bullet holes touched at 100 yards. I didn't realize what I had and was too young and too inexperienced to know that I had a winner and that most rifles don't do that.

I've bought 2 Rugers in my life, well one, then traded on the second plus twenty bucks. I'll never buy another. They are simply not the action to work with if you want a great custom rifle, IMO.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Gold Member

As has been mentioned, the 700 is the standard, but after buying a donor rifle and having the action trued, you will be at, or very near, the cost of a custom. I've had rifles built on the 700, one on an old Jap Arisaka, a Ruger, a model 70, and an aluminum sleeved AMT single shot. Some shot well, one of the Rem 700 and the model 70 did not. Action? Barrel? Operator error? (naw, couldn't be). My latest is being built with a BAT HR. It is a serious LR rifle, so seems fitting to have the best... for only another $400.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
As has been mentioned, the 700 is the standard, but after buying a donor rifle and having the action trued, you will be at, or very near, the cost of a custom. I've had rifles built on the 700, one on an old Jap Arisaka, a Ruger, a model 70, and an aluminum sleeved AMT single shot. Some shot well, one of the Rem 700 and the model 70 did not. Action? Barrel? Operator error? (naw, couldn't be). My latest is being built with a BAT HR. It is a serious LR rifle, so seems fitting to have the best... for only another $400.
This is not to sturr up trouble but just to clear this up about the factory action cost compared
to the custom action.

I looked at as many custom actions as I could find for a compairson and hear is what I found.

The bottom price I found for a custom action was $925.00 the top price was $1770 for a basic
action.

So if you buy the cheapest custom action=$925.00 and buy an after market trigger $100.00
to $240.00(Jewell) and add the bottom metal $140.00 you have invested $1165.00 at this point.

If you buy a donor like the Rem 700 SPS just for the action you will spend $370+ tax for an ADL
and $430.00 for a BDL (Add $80.00 dollars for a stainless one and you have the trigger and
bottom metal for A stainless action (Same as most custom actions).

Now add the blue printing and most smiths will do this for $100.oo to $150.oo dollars.

Now take the stock and sell it for $25.00 and the barrel for $50.00 dollars(New Stainless take off).
And you can take that off of the purchase price or the blue printing bringing the price down to
$585.00 total dollars for the Donor.

The remington now has a good trigger(Not a great one but adjustable)The X mark Pro. so unless
you want a Jewell it will do a good job especally for no more money.

Barrels and stocks add up to the same unless you have to have a special inletting done for the
custom action.

To sum up = Custom action $1165 + a possible Blue printing anyway (They are not all perfict)
or a Donor= Remington Action=$585.00 Blue Printed with everything but the barrel and stock.
For a difference of $580.00 dollars.(Almost Half price).

So if you can afford or want a custom action by all means use one to build on.

If you can't afford a custom one then have a factory used as a donor. IT IS BETTER TO HAVE A
CUSTOM RIFLE THAT SHOOTS THAN HAVE A FACTORY THAT DOESENT.

Potentially there is no difference in the accuracy potential of ether if properly Smithed. the chamber,
barrel quality and the crown are the difference.

There are certain braging rites and prestige that come with a Custom actioned rifle, but accuracy
has it's own requirements and the type of action has little or nothing to do with it. So dont let the
difference in price keep you from building an accurate rifle (That's the smiths job).

The numbers are not skewed in favor of eather custom or factory Action and were priced just
as posted.

Actually the best action to use is one that you have already paid for that wont shoot and is not
getting any use. A blueprinting and custom barrel install will be less than any other build.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

That's a better price than I have actually been quoted by the smith's I spoke with about my latest build. Now, I was talking with smiths who are building the entire rifle, not piecing it together with different guys doing different parts of the build.