Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Accuracy Tips for Savage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 PM

Accuracy Tips for Savage?

It seems like most people agree that a Savage is a good way to get into long range shooting on a budget price. So I am planning on a Savage 11G in .308. That is the wood stock model and it has the accutrigger.

So, what are some tips on tweaking a little more accuracy out of these rifles? Are there any online sources for the how-to? Are there any books covering this subject? Parts sources?

One of my first projects would be a glass-bed job. I realize they are dual pillar bedded but a glass job should still perk it up. Any tips on this? Things to avoid?

Any and all tips, suggestions, warnings and sources of info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Accuracy Tips for Savage?

The best online source is Savageshooters.com, a membership for the site is $12/year and well worth it for all the articles and expertise.

I'd personally set the headspace to minimum and change out the recoil lug and barrel nut at the same time. I'd get the tools and parts from sharpshootersupply.com You'll need a headspace gauge as well.

Freefloat your barrel and you are all set to go.

The reason I'd swap the recoil lug and barrel nut are that the ones that come on the rifle are famous for not being flat/square.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-19-2008, 08:57 PM

Thanks. This info will get me started. Any other ideas?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

Rialb,

Since you said one of your first jobs would be to bed the action I have one little piece of advise.

Make sure the safety tang is free floated , a piece of tape under the tang when bedding will do the trick.

Mike
Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 PM

Thanks all. The more that I'm finding out about Savage, the better I like them.

AJ: I now subscribe to savageshooters.com. The few things I've already read on there are already worth the subscription price. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialb View Post
Thanks all. The more that I'm finding out about Savage, the better I like them.

AJ: I now subscribe to savageshooters.com. The few things I've already read on there are already worth the subscription price. Thanks.
I'm one of the moderators over at savageshooters. I split most of my online time between here and there.

Be sure to check out the monthly email bench rest competition over there. That is the section I moderate. It is free and is a ton of fun. My shooting skill have greatly improved from it. It's forced me to shoot every month, not just in the few weeks before hunting season.

Couple more tips for the savage. Don't let the barrel heat up, especially on a sporter and don't clean the barrel too much. Many savage barrels shoot better dirty. That is the case on my 220 Swift and 300win. I'll clean them once a year, need it or not.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Couple more tips for the savage. Don't let the barrel heat up, especially on a sporter and don't clean the barrel too much. Many savage barrels shoot better dirty. That is the case on my 220 Swift and 300win. I'll clean them once a year, need it or not.
Thanks for the tips. Not cleaning my bbl often is something that I'll keep in mind about the Savage. It goes against everything I've been taught and practiced but I will keep that tip in mind.