Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

9 inches low on first shot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

9 inches low on first shot!

Alright, was at the range yesterday got dialed in at 200 yards with this gun, Rem 700 7mm rem mag, 26" barrel, B&C stock.
Yesterday I was getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards and about 1.25" groups at 200 yards. Very happy with that shooting 160 gr accubond handloads (not my handloads) from a proven loader that sells commercially.

So I got home yesterday cleaned the bore, oiled it up put it back in the safe. This morning I didn't have to work so I thought I would go back to the range and check 300 yards to see how tight I could get it. Started out at 200 yards first shot was 9 inches low and perfect left to right. I had to walk up to the target because I couldn't see the hole. Got up there and took a little bit to find because I never thought it would be this low. So alright, seems strange but I did forget to take the oil out of the bore so maybe that is it. Second shot 1/2 inch low and perfect left to right. Nice...this is going to be good. Third shot 3 inches low and 2 inches right...maybe it just needed a few to foul it up. fourth, fifth and sixth shots are in about 2 inches around the center but about 1" left. So close to where I left it yesterday.

One thing I did notice is the recoill was barely noticeable at first and seemed to build the more I shot. Not sure if this is normal.

So I moved to 300 yards dialed up 2.25 moa and first shot hit 1/2 inch below center perfect left to right. Next shot was 2 inches low perfect left to right, then it started to go right the next 6 shots were between 2-4 inches right and 2-4 inches low. I only shot a total of 16 shots so I don't think it was too dirty or fouled but not sure what is going on. Scope and mounts are tight I felt I was getting off good shots, no flinch or pulls or anything like that wind was light and variable. Not sure what is going on the first 3 shots of the day were all over, the next 5 shots were good at 200 and 300 combined then right and low.

Any Ideas, could it be the loads? How can I get 1/2" at 100 and 4" at 300 and center of group is about 3-4" off? I am not a professional shooter but feel I can keep it in a couple inches at 300 yards. Am I expecting too much?

I really want to start shooting long range and thought this was going to be the gun since it was a proven 1/2" shooter at 100.

Glad to here any opinions or similiar experiences.

Thanks, gary
Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 9 inches low on first shot!

The first thing I would do is go buy a box or two of factory loads and see what the rifle does with them. I simply refuse to shoot other peoples reloads....just kuze! The fact that the recoil got your attention kinda throws up a flag.

Run a clean patch through before shooting to get the oil out then give it two or three shots to foul the barrel before shooting for accuracy.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

I actually shot these hand loads, hornady custom in 154 gr and hornady superformance in 162 grain yesterday. These handloads were the most accurate followed closely by the 154 hornady and a DISTANT third was the superformance (these were not good at all).

I was ready for a couple foulers but 9" off at 200 seemed like alot and then losing accuracy after about 12 shots didn't seem right either.

The recoil was very noticable, at first I thought wow it hardly kicks at all and by the last couple shots the muzzle was jumping again.

I am confused, really want to get into this long range shooting and hunting but would not feel comfy shooting at an animal past 250 yards the way it is going now. I got the 7 mag for a good compromise between mild recoil and long range energy. If I am not able to get accuracy past 300 yards I might as well be shooting a 270 or 308.

In theory a 1/2" gun at 100 yards should shoot 1 1/2 at 500 yards, I can give shooter error maybe 1/2-3/4 inch at 300 yards but I should still be under 2 inches for grouping, correct?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8andbait View Post
If I am not able to get accuracy past 300 yards I might as well be shooting a 270 or 308.
I think you need to go read a little bit about 308 before making any uneducated remarks like that.

Have you checked the scope, base, stock etc? is everything tight? just remember KISS.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

Is this a heavy barreled gun? Any mods done? Whats the trigger pull? Is the rifle bedded in the stock? Barrel completely floated? Are the bases and rings torqued corectly/ tight? Whats the torque on the action screws? A lot of variables to diagnose with this one. As far as a 1/2" gun at 100, the MOA theory suggests about 2.5" at 500 can be expected. As far as the shots being low, Aaron Davidson wrote an article on verticle stringing from factory barrels. Not sure this is the case in your rifle, but you may want to read it and see if it applies.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetch View Post
I think you need to go read a little bit about 308 before making any uneducated remarks like that.

Have you checked the scope, base, stock etc? is everything tight? just remember KISS.
I know how accurate those two rounds are. In this rifle I was looking for accuracy and energy at long ranges I have owned 308's and 270's and liked them.

No disrespect to the 308 or 270, my point was I was looking for more downrange power and I could easily shoot game at 300 yards with alot less power, sorry it didn't come out that way.

Yes checked everything.

thanks, gary
Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan79 View Post
Is this a heavy barreled gun? Any mods done? Whats the trigger pull? Is the rifle bedded in the stock? Barrel completely floated? Are the bases and rings torqued corectly/ tight? Whats the torque on the action screws? A lot of variables to diagnose with this one. As far as a 1/2" gun at 100, the MOA theory suggests about 2.5" at 500 can be expected. As far as the shots being low, Aaron Davidson wrote an article on verticle stringing from factory barrels. Not sure this is the case in your rifle, but you may want to read it and see if it applies.
#4 contour
fluted
3# trigger
not bedded other than the aluminum block in the B&C
completely floated
bases torqued to 30 in lbs, rings torqued to 20 in lbs
action torqued to 60 in lbs

is it possible the ammo is sub MOA at 100 but not at 300? don't know how that could happen but maybe.

thanks, gary