Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

7mm WSM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM

7mm WSM

Hi all, Im building a 7mm wsm but need some advice, the specs are...montana 1999 short action, accuracy innovations laminted full alloy bedding block stock, Ken farrel 20 MOA base, swarovski 4-12X50 TDS, other bits and pieces to follow. Question, im looking at a Tru-flight (because im in NZ) ultra-match 6 flute barrel...so should it be #4 or #5 contour and what length?? 24" is good, but will 26" give any real difference?? This gun has to be carried up some pretty steep mountains after a Thar or Chamois so has to be practical. I would appreciate any advice. PS looking to shoot 168 gn Bergers - any reports on loads and bullet performance would likewise be apprecited.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm WSM

I have the very same rifle but it is in a mcmillan sako hunter stock. I have a #3 contour barrel and leoupold 4.5x14x40 it is 8lbs. It shoots sub moa. to 600 yards.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

My 7wsm had a 24 before but now it's got a 26" barrel. The 26 is easier to make book velocity. I could never quite get the book numbers with my first barrel, now I can slightly exceed the velocities, not that I run over max.

It also doesn't buck as much with the longer barrel, which helps me shoot better.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyfrench View Post
Hi all, Im building a 7mm wsm but need some advice, the specs are...montana 1999 short action, accuracy innovations laminted full alloy bedding block stock, Ken farrel 20 MOA base, swarovski 4-12X50 TDS, other bits and pieces to follow. Question, im looking at a Tru-flight (because im in NZ) ultra-match 6 flute barrel...so should it be #4 or #5 contour and what length?? 24" is good, but will 26" give any real difference?? This gun has to be carried up some pretty steep mountains after a Thar or Chamois so has to be practical. I would appreciate any advice. PS looking to shoot 168 gn Bergers - any reports on loads and bullet performance would likewise be apprecited.
I've gotten great accuracy out of 168's and H4831 SC. Sub 1/2 MOA at 300 yards.

I prefer the 180's though.

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 09-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyfrench View Post
I have several 7 WSMs and have built many more and the consensus seams to be the #5 contour,23 or 24 inches and the 140grain accubond for deer size game and the 160 grain
accubond for Elk size game.

You won't gain that much with a 26" barrel except length.

A #4 contour will be lighter but less forgiving when reloading. ( I like the #6 contour but it is a
little heaver. Recoil is not an issue with the 7 WSM so you can save some length by not installing
a muzzle break.

The 7 WSM is becoming one of my favorite rifles for all round hunting from bob cats to Elk and
hogs.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 09-17-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:23 AM
Gold Member

Good to see another Cantabrian on here!!
I have a 7mm rem mag with a true flite ultra match barrel (1 in 9 twist, special geometry). I went with a 26" No4 barrel. Be aware that true flites barrel numbers are different to a lot of the US manufacters. The true flite No 4 has a 0.700 muzzle. A Lilja No 5 has a 0.700 muzzle. A No 5 trueflite will be a very beefy barrel.
As a carry rifle I wouldn't go heavier than a true flite No 4 and a No 3 will prob be ok.
My rifle is a rem 700 with rem plastic stock, Leupold VXIII 4.5 -14 x 40 LR and weighs about 9 pound. It is real easy to shoot and with a hand around the bipod I can spot my own shots, even at ranges as close as 300 yds, I do not have a muzzle break. I put that down to the heavy barrel making the rifle very muzzle heavy.
I have just switched to 168 bergers and they seem to be shooting well, although have yet to shoot them at an animal. The 162 a-max should also work well IF you can find any in NZ at the moment.

Stu.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 AM
Silver Member

hey mate i agree with Stu, good to see another local on here. im looking into getting a barrel from true flite for my bro in 7mm08.
trying to get an idea of what contour too. if you have it done soon could you post its weight so i can get an idea of weights and contour. cheers mate