Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

7mm STW or 300 Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW or 300 Win

I shot and hunted with a 30-06 for several years, and have shot my dads 7mm STW quite a bit and can tell you for certain from experience that in guns of similar weight and no brakes(actually my dads STW is considerably heavier than my '06 was), the STW kicks ALOT more. Youre experience might be different but there might be other factors in the rifles or you have just shot the STW so much you dont notice how much it really kicks anymore.

With the popularity of WSMs, i cant imagine that they would be hard to come by anywhere. I would think the STW ammo would actually be alot harder to find.

You mentioned the .270 WSM, you took the words right out of my mouth. This is a great round. I just got one and lovve it. These are accurate little cartriges since, like all WSMs they have the short fat powder column and no freebore. This is truely a light kicking rifle, and true magnum performance. It is right on the heels of the 270 weatherby in velocity(but alot more accurate), and beats the 270 win(one of the best all around rifles ever)by a couple hundred fps. It will cleanly kill any north american game(besides maybe big brown bears) and its flat and accurate, and can be shot well. It would be and is my choice for a "One gun for everything" rifle.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Gold Member

Hi Dakor,
When I was 16 I had a 7mm rem mag. And it was a Great gun! And for hunting I could handle it just fine.But wanted to start shooting high powered silhouette and did not have the money to buy a different gun so my first silouette shoot I showed up with my ruger 77 7mm Rem mag. and 100 rounds of ammo.I had a cheap scope and it took me 40 rounds from the bench to get zeroed in at all ranges then 40 more to shoot the match.I weighed 150 lbs. and that was the worst mistake of my shooting career.My shoulder was just about bleeding and I developed a flinch that day that I'm still trying to get over 8 years later.I would say that a 300 winchester mag. would be O.K but if you like to shoot a lot I would recommend the .308 win. which is big enough in my mind for anything in North America and would not hesitate to take an elk at 500yds.In my mind shot placement is more important then freight train energy.My .308 has 1400 ft.lbs. of energy at 500 yds.And 1.40lb-sec. of momentum.Shoot your gun lots and learn it's trajectory and I don't think you could go wrong.
Just my advise take it for what it's worth.
308nate [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 05:39 AM
Bronze Member

For the money, buy the Remington 700 Sendero
stainless fluted in .300 Win Mag and have a
Vias muzzle brake installed with a cap so he can plink with the brake on and hunt with the cap on. From 150gr to 220gr factory ammo
can be found just about any where in the world. If you think the Sendero might be too heavy, drop back to Remington 700 stainless
steel BDL sporter synthetic model and put the brake on. Have the trigger adjusted as low as it can go and still be safe. Either one of the above choices can be gotten parts for easily on Ebay if needed. It just makes sense. GEG

[ 05-18-2004: Message edited by: GEG ]
Old 05-18-2004, 06:58 AM

Dakor,
I agree with Jon12, ammo for the wsm's is a lot easier to find than the 7 STW.

If they want to swing for a sendero, that gets my vote. Altohugh you would have to get the 300wm since they don't make them in wsm's. Or, look into the savages.
I think the weight of the sendero will help recoil.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Gold Member

Well I think at this point I would have him go with the 270 WSM I could always handload him a couple hundred rounds and ship or bring them up with me when I go. As for a Sendero the way he carrys mine around the yard it would be to heavy for him. I have looked at the Savage Weather Warrior 116FSS the only thing I hate about Savage is that cheap ass stock they put on them I am having all kinds of trouble with mine right now and I am looking for a wood stock for it. As for if he was going to shoot a Brown Bear he would be hunting with his dad and I and he could borrow my 300 win mag and I will use my dads 375 H&H. I like how guns are Recycled in our Family [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It is sure nice on the budget! Thank you everyone for the help!! I just want to make sure it is done right I have seen the magnum flinch and had to deal with it myself so I know that is something you do not want to develope. Do you guys think I should keep letting him shoot the bigger stuff I have? I really do not want him to start flinching I do watch him from the side and he does look comfortable when he is shooting what do you think?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:26 AM

That savage stock is a piece of crap.

But......

I would go with the savage, then down the road you can restock.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Bronze Member

If its fun for him and he can do it alright, dont quit lettin him shoot big stuff, just dont have him sit down and shoot it a whole bunch, and probably dont put him in his own rifle that he needs to shoot a whole bunch and get really comfy with and have it be a big rifle. Good choice with the 270 WSM, its the best of all words and really kicks light.

As far as rifles, you really cant go wrong with a model 70. You can get the WSMs in a Savage and there is a lot of firm savage believers on this site, but if his parents will pay for it, i dont believe that savage can honestly beat winchester on quality. Go for tried and true model 70 "the riflesmans rifle".

My 270 WSM is a model 70 coyote, its a good accurate rifle. Its exactly what i wanted, but its more heavy varmint config. like a sendero. If he wants something lighter, winchester and also browning offer a bunch of nice WSM rifles in any configureation he could want. Model 70 classic stainless synthetic or classic featherweight might be good choices, or browning A bolt II satinless stalker(w/ or w/o BOSS, just be careful with the BOSS models because its seems to me that take an already short 22" barrel and cut it down to put the BOSS on so the actual length of rifled barrel is really short which will give really low velocities and a whole lot of muzzle blast).

If you plan on hand loading him some rounds, im workin on loads right now and could help you w/ data. Data for that cartrige is plentiful and easy to find for free. Check out www.shortmags.org . I use 130s, but a 140 or 150 grain bullet would probably be the best choice for all around big game hunting.

Hope this helps.