Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

7mm STW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW

Kirby:

Yeah, I know what you mean about factory rifles being a crap shoot. What I was talking about is I am suprised at the ballistic information from Exbal. It is interesting that the 160 Accubond out of the 7mm appears to be a better performer than the 180 Accubond out of the 300 Win Mag as far as retained energy and flatness of trajectory. I expected the STW to shoot a bit flatter, but I figured at 600 yards and out the 300 would arrive at the target with more authority. Such is not the case. Kind of makes me wonder why I don't see more 7mm STWs out west.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I expected the STW to shoot a bit flatter, but I figured at 600 yards and out the 300 would arrive at the target with more authority. Such is not the case. Kind of makes me wonder why I don't see more 7mm STWs out west.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just keep in mind there is a lot more work than just energy. When a big bullet like a 220SMK lands, stuff happens. On a recent P dog shoot, it was obvious that the 220SMK would put more dirt in the air to spot misses at LR than the 7 REM that was along... even comparing 900-1100yds vs 600yds or so. I love my 300WM... but if external ballistics is what youre after the 7STW certanly wins hands down.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ankeny,

There actually are alot of STWs out here being used. Many of them were built before the rounds was standardized by Remington.

To be honest, the reason you do not see more of them is because of Remington. When they came out with the STW they seemed to drop the performance level of the 7mm Rem Mag to make the STW look better which was not needed. With a 140 gr pill the STW was listed at 3400 fps and the Rem Mag dropped to something like 3250 fps.

Well, as we all know when the 7mm RUM was released, it was rated at 3425 fps with the 140 gr bullet. Interestingly enough the STW advertised performance was then dropped to 3325 fps.............

Was this an attempt on Remingtons part to buy up the rights to the STW and then bury it with their own new round. I suspect so. The reason was that in a 26" barrel, the custom STW rifles could be loaded to nearly the same performance if not the exact same performance as the factory offered RUM rifles could be loaded to with their looser chambered and bores.

This would have been a real drain on the RUM sales so they bought the rights to the STW from Mr. Simpson and there you have it.

Not that the RUM is not a great round but in a 26" barrel, it is not a dramatic advantage over the STW.

In both cases, the 140 gr bullet is simply playing in my opinion, its with the 160 gr pills that these rounds really start to strut their stuff.

In custom rigs, the 200 gr ULD RBBT give them a major boost in ballistic and terminal performance.

Just my opinon,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Abinok:

Actually, the 7mm STW isn't even for me. I personally shoot a .30-338 with 200 grain Accubonds. I seriously doubt that a bull elk at 500 yards is going to be able to tell the difference between a properly constructed 160 grain pill out of a 7mm STW vs. a similar 180 bullet out of a .300 mag when it punches him between the ribs. What this discussion is/was about is will the 7mm STW serve the intended purpose? The answer is yes it will, with the bonus of a flatter trajectory.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Gold Member

Ankeny, With either round delivered to the correct location: Dead is Dead!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

aaaahh,aahh, ahh!!!

My winnie is pushing a 190 smk @ 3050 . Abinok , you are just lookink to get a new wife [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just wait till I get my 210 wildcat bullets , I'll show you 7 suitors /shooters ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Jim Brown
Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Jimm:

If you're gonna be shooting those "little" 210 Wildcats in your "winnie" you'd better be careful about what you'll show the 7mm suitors. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The 200's are going down range out of the 7mm now and the "winnies" don't even know what blew by them. By summer time I expect the 200's will have been given a healthy dose of steroids and will have put on even some more weight. Look out then. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]