Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

7mm STW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

7mm STW

I just hate the Internet threads that start out one caliber vs. another caliber but here I am asking for some information. I am still trying to set my brother up with a factory rifle and factory cartridge for the old deer/elk combo rifle out to 500-600 yards. I will be loading the ammo, but his budget won't support a custom gun in a wildcat so a factory chambering is in order.

As a left handed shooter, he has settled on an Accumark and I have found several. He isn't a fan of Weatherby cartridges but I have found an lefty Accumark in a .300 Win Mag and several in 7mm STW. I did a search here and came up empty on the 7mm STW. I have had local experts tell me the 7mm STW is the neatest thing since sliced bread, others tell me it just has a healthy appetite for powder and offers little more than a 7mm Remington Magnum. I have no first hand knowledge or either caliber, but I have shot a .30-.338 for many years so I have a good idea what to expect out of a .300 Win Mag.

The .300 Win Mag is priced $135.00 more than the 7mm STW. I am so tempted to just get the .300 Win Mag, but I am wondering if the 7mm STW might have an advantage over the .300 such as less recoil, flatter shooting, etc. Which would you choose? Flip a coin? For the $135.00 difference I could get a decent set of dies, lol.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 7mm STW

Ankeny,

Ballistically, the 7mm STW will have the advantage as it will have a higher velocity advantage over the 300 Win. Both are great long range rounds so you can hardly make a mistake with either.

Yes the 7mm STW will have a shorter throat life but for a big game rifle this will not be a concern to be honest.

Loaded properly, the STW offers alot more then the 7mm Rem Mag can offer. Personally I would get the 7mm STW and either a supply of moderatly heavy Wildcat bullets or some 160 gr Accubonds and load them up to 3200 fps and be happy with it.

The 160 gr class of 7mm bullet will do anything the 180 gr class of 30 cals will and generally with better BC values. Also, the STW will drive a 160 gr bullet significantly faster then a 300 Win can push a 180 gr pill.

On game performance will be very similiar with the slight advantage going to the 300 for elk but nothing to be worried about.

Personally I would go with the STW but again, we are splitting hairs. Both are great rounds and would serve your brother very well.

Recoil will be nearly identical between the two with top loads.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Loaded properly, the STW offers alot more then the 7mm Rem Mag can offer. Personally I would get the 7mm STW and either a supply of moderatly heavy Wildcat bullets or some 160 gr Accubonds and load them up to 3200 fps and be happy with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep thinking the same thing, but of course the .300 Win Mag has been around forever and seems like a safer bet. I know the .300 has good accuracy potential, but I really haven't heard much about the 7mm STW. I reckon I am about to find out. Thanks Kirby.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:24 AM

I shoot an STW and love it. With the Limbsaver recoil pad the recoil is mild. My 16 year old daughter can shoot it all day. I have a friend looking for an accumark in the 7mm STW, can you tell me where you found them??? Thanks, Steve
Old 12-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Kirby:

I just ran some figures through Xbal. I compared the 7mm STW with a 160 Accubond at 3200 to a .300 Win Mag with a 180 Accubond at 3050. At 500, 600, 700 yards, the STW has less drop and more retained energy. I was suprised the 7mm is not only flatter but it hits harder. I don't see how the .300 could have an advantage of any kind on an elk unless sectional denisity plays a bigger role than I thought.

SteveT:

Phil Pomeroy has six of the lefty Accumarks in 7mm STW priced at $1065.00 plus shipping. His e-mail is philny1@zoominternet.net
Old 12-16-2005, 11:34 AM

Thank you...Steve
Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ankeny,

In factory rifles, its really a crap shoot which would shoot best because of all the variables involved. Would simply depend on the rifle you happened to end up with as to if it was a shooter or not.

With a custom rifle, both would perform to the same very high degree of accuracy and consistancy.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com