Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

7mm rem mag VS .308 win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Bronze Member

7mm rem mag VS .308 win

I have the chance to trade my new Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag for a Savage 12fv heavy barrel in .308 win. with accutrigger.
Does this sound like a fair trade? I don't know much about either cal., so thought I might look for some insight from others. Remington has about 40rnds out of it, Savage is new in box. My hunting and shooting will most likely not get past 600 yards unless I move out of North Michigan. Thanks for your time in advance. Jeff
Old 12-10-2004, 09:08 PM

Re: 7mm rem mag VS .308 win

Well... I don't see any reason to trade a Rem in on a Savage.. you can rebuild on the remmy to alot of different options...
as far as perfrmance.. I have never been a 7mm fan but thats not to say I couldn't be...
The delema here isn't 7mm mag. or 308 it is Rem or Saveage...
I personally just wouldn't do it...
Old 12-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

...DON'T DO IT!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

How much do you plan on shooting? Do you reload? Are you wanting to hunt or just shoot out to 600? How well do you handle recoil? What variety of Rem 700 (ADL, BDL, CDL, Classic, Stainless, Blued, Matte)?

I'm guessing by your post that you don't reload. That would give the edge to the 308.

Generally it's cheaper to shoot a 308.

The 7 mag has a performance edge that may or may not be an issue to you. Hunting at 600yrds it would be to me. Just shooting paper it wouldn't.

With the heavy barrel 308, the recoil will be light. A similar 7 mag will recoil a touch more. A lighter 7 mag may recoil significantly more. Is this an issue? Only you can say.

Value comparison? I would say your Remington is going to be worth more. Basically consider them both new and compare the prices. The Rem will hold a little better resale but are you buying for resale or to use it?

Me? Well I'd like to have a 308, but I just keep on shooting my old Rem 7 mag. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Bronze Member

I do reload, infact just got the dies for the 7 rem mag today in the mail. Already have them for a .308....
The Remington is a BDL. My main sport is Yote and Whitetail hunting and paper hunting(target) for fun with friends.
I have only had the 7 rem mag for a very short time. But with a once broken wrist, the recoil may be an issue.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Of course he would offer to trade. I would only do it it he offered me his rifle and another 700 bucks. Oh and dispose of the Savage for me. The 7 Mag is a tremendously versatile cartridge. Put some 120 V-Maxes in it and go tear up some yotes. It will rule and the recoil will be minimal. On paper the same bullets would be fine. Going long range a good consistant moderate load pushing a 160 grain target type bullet will be nice to shoot too. At least you can look at the Remington without getting sick and it will feed and has a fixable trigger. The Savage........ UGHHH My stomach is turning over. I got to git.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:28 AM

Both rifles can be tuned to shoot out to 600 with ease. Either of the two rounds have plenty of whitetail and coyote power at that distance. It is all a matter of personal preference. I would almost waiger that if neither have had any work done on them, the savage will be the most accurate as is. They usually are, no hype, just my experience with both guns usually show the savage is the better shooter out of the box. Good luck with whatever you choosel