Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

7mm rem mag or 7mm STW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 10:46 PM
SPONSOR

7mm rem mag or 7mm STW

I have been looking for a Remington Sendero in 7mm rem mag for awhile now. I found a couple of 7mm STW's, but have never shot an STW before. I had a friend that had a Ruger #1 in 7 STW and he got rid of it because of the recoil. In a Sendero weight rifle, is the STW going to have much recoil? I have shot several standard weight 7 mags, and I shoot a 9.5lb 300wsm now. Any advise or experiences? I enjoy shooting alot, I just don't want to get something that will end up having me flinch all the time.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm rem mag or 7mm STW

TMR,
I own a 7mm RemMag Sendero (original style, non-fluted) and it kicks plenty to me. It's right at my threshold for recoil. I had a .300 WinMag and it was a bit much. I developed a flinch and had to start over with the smaller cal's.
I'm 5'8", 175lbs, and I would love to have a 7STW but I know it's too much for ME. Recoil is a relative thing, different to each of us. I know this isn't a definite answer, but I'm not sure there is one. Johnny K.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

I shoot a 7STW Sendero all the time. Actually, I shot it so much that I just had the barrel set-back and rechambered.

Shoot 140gr bullets at sane velocities and you shouldn't have any problem. If it does prove to be too much then I would consider a muzzle brake, a better recoil pad, or just adding a bit of weight.

With that said, the 7STW will roughly do what the 7mm Rem mag does at 100yds farther. Is the extra 100yds worth it for you?

Recoil is very subjective, and so is the need for all of the popular magnums. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

The best thing is to shoot something that has near the same kick level, or shoot the round you want to get. Recoil is subjective and everybody is different. I have shot 7 RM, 7 STW, 300 WM, 338 WM, and 300 RUM, all sporter weight rifles. None have muzzle brakes or any kind of special pad. I am 6'1 138 lbs, and I have no problems shooting any of them off a bench or in field positions. I love shooting my 300 RUM so much that my barrels toast, about 1100 rounds in 2 years. I have not developed a flinch, just got use to the kick, and I went in with the mindset that, "yah its going to kick, but I cant be scared of it". Just hold it tight in the pocket, and let it rock ya back. I have been scoped 3 times, laying prone with stout 220g bullets, but I did not let that get to me. Recoil is different to everybody though and everyone has there thresholds. I would say the recoil would not be bad in a sendero weight rifle, but thats just ME. If it turns out to be to much, put a limbsaver and it should cut it down to at least a 270 or so. Performance wise, you could probly add another 100-200 yards with the advantage going to the STW.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

like everyone has said, some can take more than others. I had a sendero 7ultra that beat me to pieces. I would not want that recoil again, but someone else may love it. It gave me a wicked flinch that I am still trying to get over.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

I have a Bansner built UR-1 in 7 stw, with a #5 lilja (I think) 26" plus a brake, it weighs 8.5# with a 6.5x20 leupold in loopy mounts, and a pachmeyer decellerator pad. it recoils lee than a rem model 7 in 6mm.
I also have a stock rem 700 7 rm that kicks worse than the stw does, alot worse!
JS
Old 04-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Like everybody else said , recoil is subjective. But I will say that it has alot to do with your body size and shape , a smaller lighter shooter generaly will not get the painfull smack that a larger shooter does as the recoil will move the smaller shooter around where as the larger shooter has more mass to suckup and absorb the recoil letting you feel a little more.
But like it was said recoil is subjective , I'm a pretty big boy at 6'3" and around 300lbs in the off season , recoild doesen't realy bother me to much but some guns stock shape will cause some disscomfort.

If you can't find a 7mmrem mag then give the 7STW a try worst case you have to have a brake put on it but first try a new pad the new SIMS pads help alot , I use them on all the patrol 12ga I put together for local LE guys now they say it helps alot with full house slugs or #6