Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

7mm REM MAG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 07:36 PM

Re: 7mm REM MAG

Jerry,
Thank you very much for your direct answers. Your post has answered many questions that I was having. Looks like once I get my new barrel and stock, I have a lot of practice to get under my belt! I like the milk jug idea. What is the best way to make a drop table??

Thanks
Dan
Old 01-27-2005, 11:36 AM

I have just purchased the sako 75 in 7mmstw. I am going to restock with McMillan and put a Leupold with Premier Reticle tuneup. What I am wondering is if I should right now have some barrel work done, lapping for example. How good is the Sako out of the box?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:40 AM

I also wonder about what effect on accuracy from a muzzle brake on that same Sako 75?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Bobdds

1. Muzzle brakes by themselves do not affect accuracy. having said that they can indirectly lead to better groups as you are not fighting recoil and they can change the barrel harmonics either good or bad for that particular load.

2. Once a barrel is crowned and chambered it can never be successfully lapped by hand by anyone. Anyone who says that they can to is full of BS. All the barrel makers lap before sending the blank out and they can show an enlargement of the bore at the muzzle and chamber ends. They put a cut across the muzzle about 3/4" down to make sure that the end is cut off. Lapping after chambered is a big NO NO.

You can "fire lap" with either the Neco or Tubbs kits. Advise you to take it easy and only use about 50% of the number of bullets they state and then check to see if you need to do more. Too much and throat is gone.

My advice is shoot it and see how it shoots. You can lap the lugs on the bolt, check trueness of bolt face and check the crown on the muzzle. Until you rebarrel you are pretty much stuck with the barrel other than recrowning and firelapping without destroying the barrel.

BH
Old 02-12-2005, 07:43 PM

I just got back from a Texas pan handle hunt for Aoudad and wild hog. The Sav. 110 7mag I have did great. It's stock except for the Rifle Basix trigger that I put in before I left and the sanding i did on the stock to free float it a little better. It was dual pillar bedded out of the box. Was shooting 150 grain Sierra BTSP Game Kings with 60.1 grain 4350 at 2900fps. Killed a 300lb boar at a hair over 300 yards and a 24" (small but 180lb or so) ram at 180 yards. But I know the gun can group a little better than it is now. Your gun is nothing to be ashamed of. The 7 mag. was a 1000 yard match winner in 1970 and is still used by the secret service snipers.