Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

7mm REM MAG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2005, 01:19 PM

7mm REM MAG

I am very interested in learning the rewarding skills of taking game at very long distances. I have a stock Savage 110 in the 7mm REM MAG. Is this a viable caliber for very long ranges? What should I do the rifle to make it consistent? I was thinking a new stock to make the barrel free floating but beyond that, I am open to suggestions. Any help would be great!!

Dan
Old 01-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 7mm REM MAG

Djcompton,

First off, welcome to LRH!!!

IF your going to use the factory barrel, you are limited in what you can do as far as receiver accurizing goes.

What you could do though is have the barrel crowned with a true match quality crown. Float the barrel, and I would highly recommend getting an aftermarket stock and having it bedded properly either with a glass bedding job if the stock has an aluminum bedding block or pillar bedding if it does not.

Other then that, a quality trigger job will also help you shoot the rifle consistantly from shot to shot.

Generally, the Savage rifles shoot better then they really should for what they are sold for.

How does your rifle shoot right now?

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

Floating bolt,Old man Savage was a real gun engineer!He solved alot of time and effort with his ways,And after all most people can't or won't shoot past it's ability ever.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the great welcome guys!
Kirby, right now my savage shoots great! I am regularly taking coyotes aout to 200 yards. My great uncle has a 500 yard range on his farm, and I would really enjoy tweaking the rifle as much as possible. I was contemplating purchasing a custom long range gun, but if the 7mm is a viable caliber for long ranges (+500) I think I can spend the money in gunsmithing and have one great shooting rifle. I am thinking about having a heavy barrel installed when I have it re-bedded in a custom stock. Any suggestions on somewhere that offers custom stocks and accessories online?

Thanks!
Dan
Old 01-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

...take a look at www.mcmfamily.com
Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Djcompton,

www.sharpshooters.com is a great place for after market Savage parts.

If your looking for stocks youcan also go to www.boydboys.com as they offer laminated wood stocks for the Savage rifles. I have fitted alot of these and with a proper bedding the perform great.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Writers Guild

To answer your question directly, the 7mm family is an excellent cal for LR hunting INSIDE 1000yds. I would look at loading H4831SC or H1000 under a 162gr SST or Amax lit by a Fed 215m primer (expect 2900 to 3000fps). Cases sized with a Lee collet neck die. Seat bullets as close to the lands as you can and still feed from the mag, if desired.

Odds are you will be able to get this rifle shooting 1/2" or less at 100yds. It would also stay inside MOA at 500yds.

To determine how far you can use this for LR hunting, determine how far you can hit a milk jug 100%. This is the size of the kill zone on the average deer. Larger animal, larger kill zone.

My guess is that from a solid rest and ideal conditions 700yds should be possible. That may be much further then you should hunt, at least for now. Get a Leica rangefinder and a scope with consistent turrents. Make a drop table.

Practise ranging, dialing up, and hitting your target (milk jug). When you are so comfortable with doing this, practise when the weather gets windy or lousy. A real eye opener about distance and accuracy under field conditions. Don't be surprised if you max range drops by half or more.

Be honest with yourself and your skills. They will most certainly improve with time and practise.

I would not hesitate to use this combo on deer to 800yds. Under hunting conditions, that is a mighty long ways.

Jerry