Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

7mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 10:43 PM

7mm

im new to long range shooting and have a question. What do you guys think my max range is with my 7mm rem mag with factory ammo i shoot a 140 gr bullet. is there any limit on how far i can shoot
Old 02-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm

Matt, there's always a limit on how far you can shoot. First an foremost, your ability is the most limiting factor, followed closely by the laws of physics. What speed are the 140's traveling? What type of bullet? What is the intended target? Are we punching paper or hunting elk? Definately need some more intel to answer this one,
Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 AM

i now live in az so i would say elk is a possibility if i get drawn i know the 140s are enough for couses deer and antelope. i guess my question is am i limited on killing bigger game with the 7mm at 500yds or farther. i shoot pretty tight groups with it at 400yds now. factory loads are what i use so i can shoot a variety of different loads if the 140s arent heavy enough. i hpoe this makes sense
Old 02-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

Shot placement, shooting profficiency, understanding wind,weather and atmosphere are truly the key factors. A person who knows how to shoot his 243 can kill a deer easier than someone who never learned to shoot his magnum (not meaning you, just saying), if that makes sense. for 140g I personally would use a barnes loaded bullet, perhaps a tipped TSX or a regular TSX. The tipped have a sliiiightly better BC but both will do the job. Here again is where the shot placement will be key. The higher BC bullet will have less atmospheric interference. When you said you were getting tight at 400 yds was that on flat shooting ground, or angled multiposition shots that you have practiced in the field at various ranges under various wind/temp/weather conditions? These are all things to be considered. If I were you, I personally would look to go a little heavier on the bullet, YES the barnes will keep nearly 100% of their weight but at the long range you might not have the KE to really make that 140g bullet shine on such a large animal. I hope this info helps and I hope you bag a biggin. Make sure you post pics buddy. If there is something I have said wrong someone please feel free to correct me so I can learn more.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here today are that of the sole individual and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of others. This opinion is not meant to treat, diagnose or cure any firearm addiction you may have :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty ny View Post
i now live in az so i would say elk is a possibility if i get drawn i know the 140s are enough for couses deer and antelope. i guess my question is am i limited on killing bigger game with the 7mm at 500yds or farther. i shoot pretty tight groups with it at 400yds now. factory loads are what i use so i can shoot a variety of different loads if the 140s arent heavy enough. i hpoe this makes sense

Old 02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

There's a whole lot of variables and lots of questions that need to be answered. Like stated before: your ability, the definition of a 'pretty good' group, the max range you want to shoot, your set up and optics, etc., etc., etc.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

MATT- I live in colder part of az. welcome. it snowed 8 inches and i am shoveling. the 7mm mag is a great long range round. the 140 out to 500 or more yards is very good. the gun and scope are more important than caliber though. they determine how far you can shoot. you will have to go shoot your rifle and see what its capabilities are. shoooting distance take some practice that is why most(99.99%) reload. you can get a coues deer permit every year if you want the others you are probably going to have a wait. it took me 27 for bighorn. i have 19 for antelope and it took 17 for elk, 14 for mule deer. both of my 7's shoot 140 bergers and accubonds into less than 1/2 inch. there are f-class matches in the valley if you shoot those matches it will help . i do it because i get to shoot more than one shot a year. it was good weather yesterday and i won. look on desertsharpshooters.com for calendar. roniflag
Old 02-27-2011, 07:21 PM

thanks ron and everyone i will let you know how i do as the weather warms and i can get out and shoot a bit.