Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

6mm br vs 6mm SLR for beginer LR shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6mm br vs 6mm SLR for beginer LR shooting?

Sounds great.

For what it's worth....

For a repeater and "Learning" rifle.....Don't go with the BR. The BR would be a great Learning caliber in a single shot.....but there are way better things to be concentrating on than feeding issues.

The SLR will be an awesome choice, because as you know, you are getting an improved version of a proven round (.243) without any fire forming. One pass through the die and your case is formed (for the most part, but that's like any caliber).

Can't wait to get mine!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

If you are starting with the 243 anyway, what's wrong with it? I am not familiar with the SLR, but I can't imagine it is much different than a standard 243. Twist it fast, and shoot 105a-max or 115 dtac. KISS. Barrel life won't be an issue.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP40 View Post
If you are starting with the 243 anyway, what's wrong with it? KISS. Barrel life won't be an issue.
.243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide
Barrel life is the downside of both the .243 AI and standard .243. These chamberings pump a lot of powder through a small bore. The result, typically, is rather short barrel life, sometimes less than 1500 rounds.

Super LR
The 30 degree shoulder angle of the 6mm Super LR is another potential benefit of the Super LR. Not only does it help to avoid the throat torching effect that people associate with the .243 Winchester (because of the .243's short neck and mild 20 degree shoulder angle)
Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Silver Member

Not dissing anyone here, just curious. I don't like to take words as gospel, I need something to back it up. Does anyone have any real world results of barrel wear? I hear the words "shot out", or "short barrel life" a lot and would like to see at least some data to back up the opinion. I think it is too subjective to actually put to numbers. Each one of us has an idea of an accuracy requirement, and to say a barrel is shot out is a bit vague.
I would like to hear from some shooters who have the data from their barrels and can document the deterioration of the accuracy in real means. For some guys, anything over 1/2moa is "shot out" and for others, 1moa will suffice. I really don't think the barrel life of a standard 243 will be an issue for the OP, and to go with the hassle of even a mildly modified cartridge is a bit much for me. For a beginner, like I said, KISS. No sense in trying to learn too many things right off the bat. Use a standard cartridge, shoot the crap out of it, and then you will know what you want to do for the next barrel. I doubt that after 1500 rounds a 243 will be hindering his shooting and learning, just don't see the need for anything else for a starter.
I would appreciate data from several shooters here, I have a screamer I am shooting now, so I know something is coming, just don't know when I will hit "that spot" for me. A 123g bullet out the barrel at 3200 is doing something to the bore, just don't know what to expect. I do not shoot a lot, I have maybe 6-700 rounds through in the last two years, but I know it is coming. Hopefully, I will be able to set it back a time or two and get a lot more use out of it. It is my first long range gun and I am loving it.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I need something to back it up. Does anyone have any real world results of barrel wear? I hear the words "shot out", or "short barrel life" a lot and would like to see at least some data to back up the opinion.
Dear Jeff, have you clicked at .243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide above? I'm certain the site will edit its articles to preserve credibility of its web site.
Quote:
For a beginner, like I said, KISS.
Again, pls click at Super LR. You'll find case forming is simply same as you'd f/l size a new case for loading, except may be closer attention to lubing the case shoulder and its neck.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

That SLR looks great -wasn't familar w/it -i say 6SLR.
It's a sexy cartridge and has me thinking about rebarreling my boring 22-250 that i had built and went w/a 1 in 12tw.
Is there enough room in a 700 short action to not be limited by magazine capacity w/out custom bottom metal ? W/115's ?